Fermentation Finally!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeShank

Reaction score
I pitched notty in my 3rd batch (DFH 60 min clone) on Sunday at 12 noon. I waited patiently all day for sings of my yeasties going to work.....no sings :( Monday woke up and took a peek, and no sings. So I signed onto HBT and learned that fermentation can take up to 72 hrs so I did what every new homebrewerdoes and told myself to RDWHAHB. Tuesday morning no signs agian, screw relaxing, I'm starting to worry, and all day at work I just wanted to run home and peek. I get home at 5pm today and OMFG there is bubbles!!!!!!!!! so happy right now. To everyone else just relax and wait, even when you can't

Chances are, it was fermenting before it showed signs. If you were judging it by the airlock...that's a no-no. It just means the fermentation wasn't producing enough gas yet to bubble.

I have a blow off set up just in case. I have been looking in the carboy to see if there is a krausen developing (which there hasn't been for about 48hrs). As an update its been 8 hrs (67 hrs total) and some more activity but this notty still hasn't taken off fully yet. But I have visual signs which is what counts.

I love it when the yeast sings, it sounds like bloopbloopbloopbloopbloopbloopbloop

Notty usually starts pretty quick for me. I usually pitch 2 packets when using dry yeast.

Also, you did not give temps at pitching time, which can cause lag. Also, did you aerate?

The temp was around 70ish not exactly sure what it was when mixed with water (I'm thinking it may have been high 70's). I did aerate significantly. Its going now but not vigorously (over 72hrs). Last time I used notty she kick started in less than 10hrs. I guess only time will tell on this batch.

I've found that rehydrating doesn't do much. It may make for healthier yeast in the long run, but I've dumped dry yeast right into my fermentors with no issues at all.

It will work but you are killing/maiming a large portion of your yeast. When rehydrating, the yeast have no ability to control what crosses the cell membrane. Dropping them into wort is very stressful/lethal :(.

GT

Now that I think of it I didn't adjust the temp by adding a bit of wort. That could be the problem. I did rehydrate as per package instructions same as always. The thing I did different was not add wort to the dehydrated yeast prior to pitching.

Latest posts

Back