Fermentation Duration!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archibeckmj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last Friday (8 days ago) I brewed a 5.5 gal all grain Belgian Dubbel using the "Brewing Classic Styles" recipe which includes 12 oz of Belgian Amber Candi Sugar (couldn't find syrup, so used the hard stuff) and 8 oz of Cane sugar added to the end of the boil. The OG was 1.072 and I used the Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) with a 1.5L stir plate starter. Pitched at 66 degrees and held at about 68 for 6 days. Then slowly brought it up to 70, where it is now. The fermentation was vigorous (way up the blow off tube) and persistent. It has slowed, but is still bubbling about every 5 seconds via the blow off tube. I am a bit surprised that it is still relatively active - should I be worried?

I was going to put it in a secondary at 45 degrees this weekend, but since it is still going, I guess I should wait?

Once I do, how long and at what temp should I do the secondary? I was thinking 4 weeks at 45.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Take gravity readings until it stabilizes. The bubbling could be CO2 coming out of the beer due to raising the temp so it might be done. Brewing Classic Styles says to bottle, then lager for 4 weeks at 45 to 50 F. That's what I would do. A secondary for lagering will work too.

Back