Fermentation done, but wayyy not done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
My Roasted Oatmeal Stout sounded like a winner. Brew went ok, but my OG was a little low (supposed to be 1.072 but ended up with a 1.064) and now, even worse, is I can't get her under 1.030!

I have fermented since 1/19, it had a good vigorous fermentation, but it stalled out at 1.030. So, I repitched more Nottingham, swirled and waited a week. Now......it's still 1.030!

I don't care about the Alcohol %, but I want her to be good. I was about to take out one gallon for experimental whiskey oaking. The other 4.5 needs to get bottled. So, what should I do? Rdwhahb? And then bottle it and let it go?

How's it taste? My special barleywine is stuck there as well, but it tastes great. I've had stouts finish that high that tasted great as well. If it's not stuck and is finished that high, then that's not terrible if it tastes good.

Temp was awesome for at least 3 weeks, and I controlled it at 64-65 F.

Revvy, it tastes pretty good so I'm right there with you and I'm happy with it. I guess the only thing that's bugging me is if it's truly done. When my hydrometer sits for about an hour or so it goes from 1.029 to maybe 1.027 (settling with ambient temperature?). But it appears to be the same way now as it did 8 days ago. So it's either crawling at a microscopically slow pace or maybe it's still going.

No unfermentables yet, but I wanted to add a little lactose before bottling and once again one gallon of it is going to the experiment jug to marry some boubon soaked oak chips.

I guess I just don't want to take it away from yeast to early to do all of this stuff

Oh and it's also developing a slight film over a small area on the top of the wort and there's still small bubbles at the top. So, I think I'm becoming paranoid with it and don't want to mess it up!

Back