Fermentation done after 2.5 days???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammar20

Reaction score
This is my first post. Love this site and all the advice. I'm brewing an Irish dry stout Extract kit. I brewed it Saturday morning. Starting Gravity was on point at 1.068 and on the kit it says 1.071 +\-. Fermentation started in about 5 to 6 hrs. Not the most vigorous fermentation but still strong. I used Windsor yeast and kept temp between 64-70 degrees. Got home tonight and no activity in airlock took a reading which was 1.021 witch is right on par according to instructions (1.014-1.022) so is fermentation done?

Yep, it is probably done. But, I would still let it sit for at least another week or more to help clear. If you have a place to store it in ~34° area (fridge), put it there after the week or more, then bottle/keg.

This is my first post. Love this site and all the advice. I'm brewing an Irish dry stout Extract kit. I brewed it Saturday morning. Starting Gravity was on point at 1.068 and on the kit it says 1.071 +\-. Fermentation started in about 5 to 6 hrs. Not the most vigorous fermentation but still strong. I used Windsor yeast and kept temp between 64-70 degrees. Got home tonight and no activity in airlock took a reading which was 1.021 witch is right on par according to instructions (1.014-1.022) so is fermentation done?

You can't tell anything by one reading. Especially a reading as per the instructions in an extract kit. To be sure, take another reading in 2 days and another 2 days after that. If they are all the same, you're done.

Thanks for the advice I was plaining on letting it sit till the weekend and taking a reading in a couple of days

Latest posts

Back