Fermentation day four

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash 2006

Reaction score
Hello, I started my first batch on Wednesday night of Quick and E-Z Weizen.

I put 7 pounds of wheat malt extract to 2.0 gallons of boiling water stirred until it dissolved completely.

Then I added 1 oz. Hallertau Hops and then boiled for 60 minutes and did not stop stirring it as it would have boiled over.

Removed from heat and quickly chilled to 68F.

Added one gallon of tap water to my 6.5 gallon carboy then added the above malt mixture. Finished topping off the malt with tap water to the five gallon mark and then shook vigorously and got good foam.

Added 1 pkg of dry yeast and shook it lightly to spread that stuff around.

Installed the blow off hose and then put the other end in a bucket of water.

After the first 12 hours there were two clumps of yeast floating on top of the malt. After about 24 hours it started foaming and lots of activity was going on. This kept up for about 48 hours or more.

Now tonight I looked at it (day four) and I see little clumps of yeast floating on top now. Some of them are about 1/8 round. Is this normal? There is a little foam but not much now.

Is it ok to keep the blow off hose on for the 7 days until I transfer it to my 5.0 gallon carboy and then use my airlock? Or should I put the airlock on now that the activity has slowed? Also, on day seven should I strain the wort as I did not do that initially from the pot to the 6.5 gallon carboy, or will the racking cane take care of this when transferring it into my 5 gallon carboy?

I have not taken any measurements of the wort yet. What is the best way of getting the wort out of the carboy to measure this? Is it ok to tip the carboy and poor a little out?

Also, I stuck my hand into the wort to gather the hose I dropped in it. I am sure if something screwed it up this would have been it. Considering the circumstances at the time it was necessary. :mad:

Yeast floaties are normal.
You can keep the blow off hose on as long as you like. It's just another form of air lock.
Use the racking cane to leave the crud behind.
Keep you hands out of the beer! :p

DON'T tip the carboy to get your sample! Use a wine thief or a turkey baster (sanitized of course), or sanitize your racking cane and stick it in and put your finger over the hole and remove the sample that way. Keep whatever you're using out of the sediment on the bottom. Wait about a week to 10 days, though, before taking the reading. That will give the beer time to finish up.

You also might want to consider using some type of sanitizer instead of water next time for your blow off catcher. From what I have heard just water does not guarantee that nasties will stay out of the tube. Not a huge deal though since the pressure should keep most of the bad stuff out.

Go Gators said:
You also might want to consider using some type of sanitizer instead of water next time for your blow off catcher. From what I have heard just water does not guarantee that nasties will stay out of the tube. Not a huge deal though since the pressure should keep most of the bad stuff out.

Thanks for the info. I racked the beer from the primary to the secondary last night and crazy enough it smelled and tasted like BEER??? :rockin:

It is working!!!

YooperBrew said:
Imagine that! :D

More importantly, though- does it taste like good beer?????? :mug:

That's a relative question. I've made a dozen brews now and my unfermented wort tastes 20 times better than BMC. :cross:

:tank:

Back