Fermentation Chilling with a water cooler - HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chs9

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a problem. I use a 120 qt box coleman extreme cooler, filled with water, to buffer out large temperature changes in my fermenters. I live in New Mexico, and there is usually a 30-40 degree temp change during the course of a day, both inside and outside the house. However, it's been mega hot recently, ~105 F, and I woke to find the water at 74 F after the cool night, so clearly I've got to step it up. I've been using one ice jug a day, but I'm starting to suspect that ice jugs and evaporation won't be enough once we get deep into the summer.

So, I need some added temp control. I was considering buying a 4x8 sheet of polystyrene insulation, like you might see on a "son of a fermentation chiller" build. With that, I'd make a double thick box to put around the cooler. Then, I'd remove the lid of the cooler and place that on top of the polystyrene box. As is, the carboys are too tall by maybe a foot to use the lid as made.

I between the insulated box and some ice jugs, I'm hoping to keep it at normal ale fermentation temps.

My biggest questions are - should I worry about bonding the outside the cooler and the inside of the insulated box? Will the water interact with the insulation at all, assuming they're not in direct contact? Do I still need water in there at all?

Do you think there's a substantial gain to be had by building the box so it fits around the sides of the cooler, as opposed to building a much shorter box that sits on top of the cooler walls - like a vertical "wall extension"? The ice will drop the temp more if it's not full of water, but I lose the temp buffer I have now. ALTHOUGH, optimistically with a closed ferm chamber I won't have T changes to buffer.

Any opinions or suggestions are welcome. I'd really like to use this cooler in the solution somehow, I'm reluctant to go build an entire fermentation chiller volume with this cooler lying around.

Thanks.

well the cheap root would to be to hold a wet t-shirt contest for your carboy. get an old t-shirt, soak it in the water and put it over your carboy so the bottom of the shirt is in the water. then get a fan and point it directly at the carboy. this will help cool your brew more than just sitting in a tub of water alone.

if you got money to burn i would look into getting a mini-fridge and a Ronco ETC. when used together you will have no problem keeping your brew at your target temp. you might be able to just get away with just the mini-fridge. look on e-bay and criagslist.

also look into brewing beers that like warm temps like Belgians.

I doubt you will benefit that much from more insulation around the cooler. A lid may help though if your not using one. I use this water fermentation chiller.

IMG_1052.JPG

That way I can just add a bunch of ice and let the regulator and pump do the rest.

Hey there, fellow New Mexican! I live just up the road from you in Belen and have the same problem. I thought about building an insulated box like you mention but got to looking at Craigslist and just got a great deal on a 9 cuft chest freezer for only $30 that still works! I have ordered a Johnson Temp Controller which should be here in 2 more days. In the meantime, I am just putting about 6 frozen water bottles (16oz) in the freezer and it is keeping 10 gallons of beer right at 68 F. I only have to switch out the water bottles once a day. (I use the household freezer to freeze the water bottles.) The controller cost about $80 delivered from Northern Brewer so I am only into this thing for $110. I got lucky with the freezer price but you can usually pick those up around here for $75 or so if you keep a sharp eye out. Even if you pick up a non-working chest freezer for nothing, you will have a great insulated box to use with the frozen water bottles. PM me if you want to get together and see what I have and talk beer.

I do the wet tshirt thing, but I haven't gotten around to using a fan. I probably should start.

I like the chest freezer thing and I've been on the lookout for a fridge or chest freezer for sale in Socorro, but I don't have a pickup so I can't go up to ABQ or Lunas. Maybe it's about time I get a friend to help me out. I'll just pay them in 8% belgian golden ales.

Going that route probably makes more sense, there are a few on craigslist right now for 75 and my roommate is already building a T controller for our priming fridge, so we shouldn't have to spend any more on that.

I do the wet tshirt thing, but I haven't gotten around to using a fan. I probably should start.

I tried that but couldn't get the fermenter below 80F.

my roommate is already building a T controller for our priming fridge, so we shouldn't have to spend any more on that.

If you guys attend NM Tech, you should have the smarts to build you own controller:rockin:.

Its already 110° here, I gave up trying swamp cooler methods after watching a friend struggle in the summer with his batch, I had a mini fridge and bought a temp controller, I then added a 2x12" collar to the fridge so I could do 10 gallon batches. no worries brewing due to temps anymore.

Back