Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthias

Reaction score
This is a very dirty build for the time being. But it is cleaner than it was earlier today!

I ordered a STC-1000 controller from amazon a couple weeks ago. While waiting for delivery I planned out my system. A few goals I had in mind:

1. I wanted to run as few cords as possible into the freezer, its a rental house and the freezer belongs with it, so no drilling. Meaning I needed the best seal I could get when the lid is closed.

2. I am cheap, I just bought a $20 controller, I don't want to buy a heating device too.

3. I want air circulation during the heating to avoid cold spots.

4. I wanted one single plug for the entire heating mechanism.

Thinking all of this through, I came up with using a computer power supply and computer fans in order to power the heater. It took me a while to come up with a heat source. I read through many builds and saw pads, hair dryers (genius), and lightbulbs in paint cans.

I liked the idea of a lightbulb in a can, so I ran with it. I decided to change out the standard 100watt bulb on 110v circuit for two 12v car headlight bulbs. Cheap, compact, burn hot, runs on computer supply!

At this point I have things roughly wired how I want them, I have the light bulbs enclosed in soda cans with the fans blowing across them to distribute the heat. I still need to build an enclosure around the. Heating unit to protect from bottle bombs and an enclosure around the control unit and other electronics to make it safe and look awesome.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. This build has held 70* +/-1* for the last couple of weeks. Input os appreciated!

ForumRunner_20131108_231150.jpg

ForumRunner_20131108_231219.jpg

ForumRunner_20131108_231244.jpg

Back