Fermentation chamber. What's the highest temperature I should need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benedetto

Reaction score
I finally finished building my fermentation chamber. I can heat it with a reptile heating rock and can sustain up to 77 degrees when my basement is like 68. I was planning on returning the rock and getting something more powerful. Does anyone know if there any style of beer that requires a ferment higher than 77?

Check out the Belgian yeast strain guide on the Wyeast site. The fermentation temperature range is given for each of the yeasts. The Belgian yeasts would be the strains that can be used at the highest temperatures.

I ramp my Saison fermentations into the low 80's using the DuPont strain.

As mentioned above, some Belgians like temps in the upper 70's to low 80's for big ester production. I just have a $15 space heater in mine. It's nice because it's fast and the fan makes sure the air in the chamber is circulated.

The only yeast that you will need high temps than that is the Dupont strain. WY3724. The other Belgian strains will do fine at the lower temps.

Thanks for replies. Circulation is not a problem, I have two PC fans going in opposite directions creating a convection. I think I'll return the rock and pick up something that can get to at least 90 in case I ever need it.

I use an old school heating pad, no timers, no extras. The kind with the timers, as soon as they shut off the first time they stay off. I tried enclosed bulbs, I tried the 200 watt Lasko portable heater, and pitched them both in favor of the heating pad. I don't want the inside of my fermenter @ 90*F, and my bucket waiting to catch up. At that point my controller goes heat/cold, heat/cold. The heating pad on low is "slow", and that is my preference to prevent "overshoot". YMMV

Back