Fermentation Chamber Of Death LOL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver165

Reaction score
So I've been facinated by the new freezer/fermentor that I have. I've got 3 batches (2 beer and 1 cider) plugging away at 64F. I'm loving it. I went to take a peak inside to see if I had a beer-cano this evening. I always seem to get them but to my surprise no issues yet!

That brings me to something I knew but I guess never realized would be so profound. The odors given off by active fermentation are kinda putrid-fruit like. So, decided to stick my head down into the freezer and DOH... my throat and lungs started buring!!!! And then it hit me...hey there aint no air down there! Seems the CO2 has replaced the oxygen in my freezer/fermentor on a much grander scale than I had thought. (burning sensation in the upper airway and lungs is from the high CO2 level) If you were to stick your head down there to fiddle with something say a fan or carboy you could cause yourself a real problem. Especially if you would (like I am sometimes) be kinda hammered and decide to move carboys around or cleanup an over active fermentation mess....pass out with your head in there and you're dead.

I can see the headline.... "Man found dead hugging a better bottle of homebrew. Family says he died happy..." :D

Yeah, even knowing that co2 will pool in such areas I didn't think about it and stuck my head in the chest freezer to take a closer look at an air lock and wow. That was an interesting sensation.

Back