Fermentation chamber help w US-05...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUSTOM-441

Robobrew v3.1 35L
Reaction score
I've used US-05 a bunch, and I've had good luck with fermenting it in closets with ambient temps between 64-70F depending on seasons. I recently converted a mini fridge into a fermentation/lager chamber with an inkbird and brew belt. This is my first time using it and I'm using US-05 on a Marzen style ale. Since I'm used to setting and forgetting, and not used to having control over fermentation temps, I'm a bit lost and feel like I'm over-complicating my process. Here's my plan, and I'm hoping you all can guide me from here (it should be noted I'm in no hurry to rush this beer, and I based my schedule off of John Palmers HTB pg.91-94): Chill wort to 65F in chamber, pitch, free rise to 67 and hold. After 3-4 days, or when airlock activity starts to slow, increase to 72 for a diacetyl rest for an equal amount of time.

Cheers!

No, Palmer's instructions are for a lager yeast (example WLP820, Wyeast 2633). No need to do for an ale (US-05) yeast. Let ale yeast ferment at 64F.

Of course, you are really not, truly, making an Oktoberfest with ale yeast.

In his book he talks about both lager and ale yeasts, and provides maturation guidelines for both in a chart, and mentions it in the text. So you're saying just pick a fermentation temp and leave it be? And yes, I know I'm not making a proper Oktoberfest bier. Without the ability to make proper lagers until now, this is the best I've been able to do. Like I said, a 'Marzen style ale'.

No, Oktoberfest is a lager yeast. Lager yeast needs lower fermentation temps (than an ale), the diacetyl temp rise (to make the yeast consume the diacetyl) in temps, etc.

Diacetyl is common when using lager yeast. It gives a buttery, butterscotch, movie popcorn taste. Think of any microwave popcorn. They probably are using diacetyl.

Ale, yeasts are in fermented in the low 60's, don't need the diacetyl rise, etc.

I understand all of that re: lager yeast & diacetyl. It's confusing the book would include a chart for maturation rest schedules for lager & ale yeasts then if it isn't technically required for ale yeast. I guess I'll just let it ride at my typical fermentation temp. At least the temp won't wander in the chamber. Looking forward to brewing this style properly with a lager yeast and having total temp control!

Temp will wander in an enclosed space! Fermentation can add up to 10F. It's not the air temp, it's the temp of the wort being fermented. I write the proceeding as you write " At least the temp won't wander in the chamber. "

BTW, it's easy, with an external temp control, to make a regular chest freezer into a lager fermentation chamber.

Last edited:
Temp will wander in an enclosed space! Fermentation can add up to 10F. It's not the air temp, it's the temp of the wort being fermented. I write the proceeding as you write " At least the temp won't wander in the chamber. "

BTW, it's easy, with an external temp control, to make a regular chest freezer into a lager fermentation chamber.

I've got the temp probe of my Wifi Inkbird resting against the side of my carboy, and I've taped a folded cloth overtop of the probe to isolate it from the ambient air temp of the chamber. I'm hoping this way the temp reading on the controller is closest to that of the wort, and not the air around the carboy, and the inkbird will kick the fridge on/off to maintain fermentation temp of the wort, mitigating wandering temp.

A stopper thermowell may be in my future...

I honestly built the chamber so I can brew lagers year round and crash cool beers. Putting this ale in it is just an excuse to use it for the first time, which is why I think I'm overthinking things a bit. I'm usually not concerned about fermentation temps for my ales, and haven't really had any issues.

Ontario misses you too!

In our experience Canadian people are very, very nice. We had a great experience each time we visited.

Canada is also very clean. Use the washroom. Can eat off the floor it is so clean. Return to the US and don't even want to go into the bathroom without risk of getting an infection.

For an ale just keep the primary fermentation temps in the low 60's (15C) and you'll be OK.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know Germans make Marzen in March, lager over the summer for fall consumption that is called Oktoberfest.

I've seen Chuck Berry live in concert. Other goal in my life I hope to attend Oktoberfest in Germany. Sorry, but the Beer Garden on Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls just doesn't compare.

Last edited:
In our experience Canadian people are very, very nice. We had a great experience each time we visited.

Canada is also very clean. Use the washroom. Can eat off the floor it is slow clean. Return to the US and don't even want to go into the bathroom without risk of getting an infection.

For an ale just keep the primary fermentation temps in the low 60's (15C) and you'll be OK.

We're stereotypically nice lol. It's almost embarrassing.

I'm in the US quite a bit for work; though not in recent times, unfortunately. I'm only about 15 minutes from the border to upstate NY, and I have yet to visit Virginia but it looks beautiful!

I'm sure you know Germans make Marzen in March, lager over the summer for fall consumption that is called Oktoberfest.

I've seen Chuck Berry live in concert. In my life I hope to attend Oktoberfest in Germany. Sorry, but the Beer Garden on Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls just doesn't compare.

100%! My plan next year is to brew a proper Marzen in March, and lager over the summer for Oktoberfest.

I was born in Germany but moved back to Canada when I was young. My wife and I were fortunate enough to attend the Cannstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart in 2019, the last one before all the Oktoberfest celebrations in Germany were cancelled due to covid. We're eager to go back, and in the meantime I'm eager to brew some of the beer I loved while I was there.

Latest posts

Back