Fermentation chamber - heater died after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oylerck

Reaction score
I just put an American wheat with us-05 in the chamber on Tuesday and with the probe on the outside of the bucket. The goal was 65, and was sitting steady until yesterday when I notice the temp at 58. Apparently my heater isn't working anymore (just bought this at the beginning on the month...)

Krausen was developing, but now it's kind of lumpy. We are at day 3 and I'm not sure what I can do to help it out. At 5 tonight I might prop the door open to warm it up because the ambient temp should be 65.

Should I worry too much? Right now the ambient temp is around 38, but I haven't seen the cooler temp yet this morning. If it's pretty low I'll just prop the door open all day....

Most space heaters have a safety off-switch on the bottom in case they tip. Check that it still engages.

But yeah, 58 is kinda cold for that yeast, so a warmer place is best. Just make sure the temps don't drop (too much) as the yeast may go dormant early, leaving you with stuck beer.

Get a ceramic reptile bulb to replace the heater. One fire in my ferm chamber was enough for me!
Add a small fan if practical to give you good circulation.

Apparently the heater had a an overheat switch. Unplugged for 10 minutes and plugged back in and it works. Here's hoping it can get the liquid back to temp before tripping again. It's already a low grav beer, I don't need it any sweeter either.

Unless you live without heat, just put in in a closet. That could actually be too warm. I have mine in my heated basement that I use as my media room. I have to cool my fermentations year round.

Unless you live without heat, just put in in a closet. That could actually be too warm. I have mine in my heated basement that I use as my media room. I have to cool my fermentations year round.

This is the first time using this cooler and I wanted to see how it would go. Usually I put in my basement in the corner but it's always a little warm. This method should work just fine in the summer, but during this cool month and during winter that heater is not going to work. Will try bulb next, but insulating my garage might be a more productive answer.

40 hours in and still at 1.03. Og is 1.044 so I haven't made it very far. I'll stick it out until the krausen falls. If it doesn't finish I'll re pitch and shove in the basement. It's usually done by now but I've been sitting at 70 in the basement. Big swing.

Good news everyone! 1.012 in less than 24 hours! That was goal, I'll give it another day and see where we are and then officially drop to 35.

Latest posts

Back