Fermentation Chamber Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIBrewer83

Reaction score
I just purchased a new chest freezer to be used as a fermentation chamber. I live in WI so my basement ranges from mid 50s to mid 70s depending on the time of year. I'd like to be able to brew ales and lagers. So my question is, do I buy an expensive dual stage temperature controller with a heater? Or just a regular temperature controller (single stage) and hook it up to either the freezer or a ferm wrap depending on the basement temperature. Anyone have any experience with either of these that could share?

Also, where do you all put your temp probes?

Thanks

Buy a cheap Chinese temp controller and go dual stage.
Put the probe against the side of the fermentation vessel, and then a layer of insulation The idea is to control the beer, not the air.
I use 1/4 bbl Sankes to ferment in. I use a spunding valve & ferment under pressure. It has a thermowell and I sample the temp from the core... works very well, and it's nice to be able to cold crash and then dispense without disturbing the vessel. I highly recommend it.

Build an outlet control box with a $20 (on Amazon) STC-1000. It's a dual controller and the three I have all work great.

For heat, a small Lasko ceramic heater or the DIY paint can fermenter heater (with 40-60W bulb inside) work quite well.

If I was able to do it anyone is :0) check out some youtube vids on wiring STC-1000 and it will take you step by step. I think I did my build for $50ish including controller.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

$50????

I used scrap bits instead of buying a project box at Radio Shack, so the two I made with 2-plug outlets cost less than $30 each. I always have some extra wire on hand.:D

Yea...I'm the young dad who never seems to have the right tool or right materials for the job. I figure in 20yrs I will be like my pops and have what I need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

+1 on the stc-1000

During the summer, I use it with a wine cooler. During the winter, I put it in a spare closet that has horrible insulation. Connect a heater and it stays a steady 64f. That way I can ferment a few things at once.

I'm even planning on using it to maintain heat while doing a sour mash over the course of a couple days.

$40 and you can have it looking pretty. Or do it on a budget and toss it together with spare parts, computer cables, old box..etc.

Just remember, it's only in Celcius.

I just purchased a new chest freezer to be used as a fermentation chamber. I live in WI so my basement ranges from mid 50s to mid 70s depending on the time of year. I'd like to be able to brew ales and lagers. So my question is, do I buy an expensive dual stage temperature controller with a heater? Or just a regular temperature controller (single stage) and hook it up to either the freezer or a ferm wrap depending on the basement temperature. Anyone have any experience with either of these that could share?

Also, where do you all put your temp probes?

Thanks

For a bit more money (yeah, I usually fuss at people who want to spend other people's money) you could have a controller for the freezer to do lagers and a separate controller that would run an aquarium heater (or get a heater with its own controller) and a tub to put water in. Then you could be doing a lager in the freezer and an ale in the heated tub of water at the same time. This may not work in the summer but summer is pretty short in Wisconsin.

Wow, thanks for all the tips! I think I will build my own controller. I can usually figure things out. Beats spending $130 on the Ranco version! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, perfect! Thanks for the link!!

WIBrewer83,

The link below is to a guy's blog who provides step by step instructions on building a dual outlet temp controller using the STC-1000 that you can get on Amazon or just about anywhere. (link provided also) Take a look and you should be up and running in no time.

Blog/Instructions:
http://www.onemansbeer.com/keezer-build-diy-temperature-controller/

STC-1000
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KVCPH2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No problem - happy to help! Hope it works out for you. Mine is working great. Down here in Texas we don't have much need for the heating side, but I'll tell you I'm glad I built it in because I'm needing it now! I am getting ready to do an imperial milk stout this weekend and a brown ale next week for my first brew competition, and I realized my fermentation chamber is TOO COLD, even with the temp controller (I have a 7 cubic foot chest freezer in my garage, hooked up to the STC-1000). I tried the paint can/light bulb for warming, but the coating on the inside of the paint can (empty can from HD) smells awful when the light heats it up. So, I opted to get a Brew Belt and will just plug it in to the heating side of my controller.

Best of luck, and PM me if you have questions!

-Tim

I live in uk which is 220 volts mains, should I buy the stc 1000 110 volt model aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Home onw

I live in uk which is 220 volts mains, should I buy the stc 1000 110 volt model aswell
No, look for the 220v version. You should be able to find it easily on ebay.

And +1 to using a brew belt. It helps me keep my fermentation temp in a real narrow range.

Thanks, would a space heater work well?

Get an STC-1000 or better yet 2. You can get them assembled here: http://www.risendeadbrewing.com/STC-1000-Temperature-Controller-p/stc1000.htm

Or build your own and save about $15. I use one to maintain my main ferm chamber temp. I keep that around 38F. When I ferment, I use a 2nd controller with the probe in a carboy thermowell (http://www.brewershardware.com/Straight-Wall-Thermowells/) and a FermWrap connected to the "heat" side. (http://beanfarm.com/product_info.php?cPath=1204&products_id=5569) For DIY FermWrap.

Thanks , this might souls daft but what about an electric blanket? Just thinking outloud!

Latest posts

Back