fermentation, carbonation, cleaning - 3 diy projects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
this is copied from my blog post (hands-on/home-made: some brewery projects). none of these projects are particularly novel, but i figured i'd post them anyway. they're pretty much self-explanatory, but if you want a write-up let me know.

3777023312_ddd25079a7.jpg

first, my fermentation chamber. this is a fridge that i got for $50 delivered through craigslist. for a long time i was content with a Ranco thermostat that regulated the high-end temperatures, turning the fridge on when temperature exceeded a given range. then came winter. once my uninsulated detached garage began to average around 35-40 degrees i added the low-end temperature controller, a Lux WIN100 programmable plug-in thermostat attached to a $15 walgreen's heating pad. this was significantly less expensive than upgrading to a $130 dual-stage Ranco thermostat.

3777024788_8fea333790.jpg

3776219827_f0bbe869cf.jpg

next up, my carbonation station/conditioning fridge

3777007652_638445bb68.jpg

another craigslist fridge, this one for free. the 20lb CO2 tank was also a steal for $75. i decided to wire this up so that i could carbonate my backup kegs without taking anything off the kegerator. the CO2 regulator has a quick disconnect to attach an exterior-use output for sealing kegs, transferring beer between kegs, and as a portable regulator for outdoor party kegs.

3776202709_2c6ee2d7b5.jpg

3777007876_806a4e1957.jpg

3776202977_8d434ccf27.jpg

and last, a project whose design is lifted from andy77's brewing network write-up, a simple keg cleaning system.

3776990046_128085be13.jpg

like the original author, i already had the submersible pump (which i use for circulating ice water through my immersion chiller). i mostly cobbled the rest together from pieces of tubing/hosing and fittings that i had handy. this is one of those super-simple "why didn't i think of this already" solutions to the pain-in-the-ass of breaking down a keg to soak and clean. every surface that touches the beer is soaked in a continually running warm cleaning solution. set-it-and-forget-it appeal too.

3776184911_93c25b89c4.jpg

3776991160_7f5b90d44c.jpg

Do you turn the keg over during the cleaning process, or do you just have enough cleaning solution in there to fill the whole keg?

I've been thinking of something similar, except the keg would be inverted and the QDs would be permanently mounted in the bottom of the tub with proper spacing and with the ball lock mechanism removed. All you would have to do is drop the keg down onto the disconnects and strap it down with a bungee (or whatever) and turn the pump on.

Why not just run a hose to the outlet and have a return line drain to the sink or tank on the inlet with the lid on? Just asking because this is something I was thinking about myself.

Do you turn the keg over during the cleaning process, or do you just have enough cleaning solution in there to fill the whole keg?

i use enough cleaning solution to fill the keg so it flows over the top. i leave the lid off and let it flow down back into the bucket and recirculate.

I've been thinking of something similar, except the keg would be inverted and the QDs would be permanently mounted in the bottom of the tub with proper spacing and with the ball lock mechanism removed. All you would have to do is drop the keg down onto the disconnects and strap it down with a bungee (or whatever) and turn the pump on.

i think you would need some sprayer or something to reach the bottom of the keg. maybe i don't understand your design, but it sounds like it would just bubble out the dip tube and most water would pool at the top of the keg.

Do you sanitize with the pump too?

i don't, but i could. it would just take a lot of sanitizer, which would be more expensive than just using it for the cleaning process.

What is your cleaning solution?

i use ultimate brewery cleaner, brewvint's version of PBW (at roughly half the price).

Why not just run a hose to the outlet and have a return line drain to the sink or tank on the inlet with the lid on? Just asking because this is something I was thinking about myself.

i'm not exactly sure what you mean. if you're talking about running the output from the pump to one keg post and a return to the tank out the other, that would be fine. it's just a different way of piping the same system.

I didn't see this thread when it was originally posted. Good work here. I've just started kegging (like, within the last month), so I'm totally going to try your last design. What kind of pump do you use? Is it just a pond pump or something?

I didn't see this thread when it was originally posted. Good work here. I've just started kegging (like, within the last month), so I'm totally going to try your last design. What kind of pump do you use? Is it just a pond pump or something?

it's a submersible pump that i bought for circulating ice water through my wort chiller. there are some other threads on what to look for in a pump for that application which you can search for. for the cleaning system you won't need a very high output.

Latest posts

Back