Fermentation Bucket Smells Like Vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blstr

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been brewing for a few years and never come across this before. I pulled my equipment out for a Saturday brew day.

I'm used to my bucket smelling hoppy/beery but it had a real sharpness like vinegar. I soaked in oxyclean and even a 5% bleach solution but nothing gets rid of this smell. Is this off smell normal or is it time for a new one?:confused:

Is it the bucket or the spigot? You could maybe just swap out the spigot. If there is no spigot it wouldn't hurt to get a new one if you been using it a few years anyways. Maybe even consider glass or a Speidel upgrade.

I've used a vinegar/Dawn soap mix a few times to get rid of smells in multiple different containers, not just brewing. I know adding vinegar to a vinegar smelling container doesn't sound like a solution but could work. That or try some baking soda, make a paste and wash it with a sponge. Like Brandon said though, it might just be time to replace.

I've got it on a multi-day soak with a little bleach and oxyclean....I'll let you know if it works. In the meantime, I've been looking into buying a new fermenter. I'd like to get away from the bucket without shelling out lots of cash. Anyone have a low cost preference?

You really shouldn't mix bleach and oxyclean. Not as harmful as other mixtures but still not advisable.

As for the bucket, save your time and money and buy a new one. Problem solved.

As for new fermenters, I can't say enough about my Speidels. Love them.
That said, I used a snake keg for years and years and also have no complaints other than weight.

Back