Fermentation bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clt2DC

Reaction score
So yesterday I brewed an Imperial Breakfast Stout. I took a Russian Imoerial Stout kit from Alternative Beverage in Charlotte and added some oats and coffee and coco. The kit came with 11 lbs of DME and should have had an ABV around 8.8 - 9.0%. I assume it will be a little bigger since I added the oats and chocolate. So I put it in an Ale Pail like usual and put it down in the basement. Around one in the morning we were woken up to a load boom. Come to find that it got pretty agressive with the fermentation pretty quick. Not wanting a repeat a placed the lid back on the pail but I didn't snap it down. Luckily the lid landed upside down. When I got home from work it was still bubbling away and the lid was still sitting on the bucket.

My question do people think I can put a fresh lid and snap it down. Or do I need to wait another day or so I don't have a repeat explosion. I can't transfer to a carboy. I realize I may and up with an infection but it is what it is at this put

simple fix. put a fresh lid on and run a hose from the hole in the lid into a bucket of Sanitizer solution. it can handle the pressure and will keep things clean

Thanks, isn't first I couldn't figure out how to attach the hose the hole in the lid, then I remembered I had an extra 3 piece airlock I wasn't using. The base piece of the airlock is a nice little connector. Got it fixed last night and it is still bubbling away this morning.

great to hear. I've used that method. be careful when you pull the tube off of the airlock. when I did so the brittle plastic of the airlock shattered and I sliced up my hand pretty good

Back