Fermentation and US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob1979

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a brew in the primary fermenting with us-05. I have heard this strain takes a while to finish. There has been a krausen ring in the fermentor for 5 days now, and there is still a raft of bubbles on top. The temp is between 65-68F. It has been eight days since fermentation started, I want to get a second batch started with my other system, but I want to use 0.5 oz of Falconers Flight
as a dry hop in this batch and then in the boil for the next. I have read threads here that claim 10-15 days in the fermenter with us-05, however, this is a small batch.
Even though fermentation is slowing, approximately how many days can I expect for fermentation with this strain overall?

I've used US-05 frequently in my Rye IPA recipe. My typical pattern for all my beer fermentation is 12 days in primary and 10 days in secondary.
My basement is a steady 67-68 degree Fahrenheit year round.

The only yeast I use that I do believe is ready to move sooner than 7 days would be Nottingham, but the US-05 seems to be ready for secondary at that point at least. I just like to let them set a little longer.

If you've been in primary for 8 days or more, you'll do fine. Secondary still offers fermentation ability, remember, so you're not going to fail to get all the fermenting done unless you're going straight to the bottle (bombs at that point).

Thanks, I want to sit on it for at least another week. If it could take 12 days in primary I may wait longer. I plan to dry hop for a week and cold crash before bottling. Most excellent advise.

Fermentation times are not consistent just based on yeast strain. Mash temps, fermentation temps, and OG all factor in much more heavily than yeast strain.

That said, it's done when it's done. Don't rush it. Patience is very important to making good beer. Even after active fermentation stops, yeast continue to eat many compounds that contribute to off-flavors in beer, so there is absolutely no reason to rush this one. Let it be.

I keep the vast majority of the my ale fermentations in primary for 3 weeks. Notable exceptions would be Hefewiezens (or anything else with 50%+ wheat), and lagers. Otherwise, you have nothing to lose and nothing but quality to gain by just letting it sit and condition.

Fermentation is done when it's done, and you should have the only tool that can definitively show you when it's done - a hydrometer. Watching the krausen or the airlock bubbles are pretty worthless, neither are trustworthy signs that a fermentation is complete. Use the hydrometer, and use it sparingly, as you can only increase your chance for infection by testing too often.

Good rule of thumb, just let it sit at least 2-3 weeks before taking a hydrometer reading to make sure you are at FG before transferring.

Hope that helps!

I do 1-gallon and reach FG often enough by day 6. Sometimes even earlier but 4 days after krausen drops, I'm usually where I am going to be with 05. Even on big beers.

TopherM I hear what you are saying. My OG was 1.032 with the correction for pitch temp at 74F. It's a 2.5 gallon batch held between 65 and 68 F. I wasn't planning to do and FG testing until this coming weekend. It's a dark oatmeal coffee stout, but I didn't have the equipment to do a full boil. I now do and want to see what the difference will be. But I plan on plotting the dry hop package, its sealed in a freezer waiting to be used. I want to time the start if the next batch with the beginning of the dry hop cycle of this one. Is time gets me better results, I will take more time.
I am impressed with the one gallon brews guys. I have room for more but I don't drink that much, and I like variety. Smaller is better for that.
Cheers

Took FG reading number one 1.011. Tasted a sample its dry like Guinness. Not as dark as I thought it would be. Try again this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I used Brewer's Friend and have learned that I had really bad attenuation. I know the problem and I think I have already gotten the solution. The pot I used was not big enough to accommodate the brew size, plus the adhesive property of water mixed with the shape of the lip of the pot caused a ton of spillage:drunk:. I have now an $8 SS pot with a lip that juts out 0.25 inches. This should help increase attenuation by numbers here. More wart in the fermentor and less water to top off. I'm sure the next one will have over 65% attenuation, hey no where to go but up right.:D

S-05 regularly finishes in 2-4 days for me, but I usually leave it for 2-3 weeks to settle out and clear up. Like Topher said, every batch is diff and its done when its done.

So I used Brewer's Friend and have learned that I had really bad attenuation. I know the problem and I think I have already gotten the solution. The pot I used was not big enough to accommodate the brew size, plus the adhesive property of water mixed with the shape of the lip of the pot caused a ton of spillage:drunk:. I have now an $8 SS pot with a lip that juts out 0.25 inches. This should help increase attenuation by numbers here. More wart in the fermentor and less water to top off. I'm sure the next one will have over 65% attenuation, hey no where to go but up right.:D

do you mean efficiency? issues with your pot wouldn't have any effect on attenuation (how much sugar the yeast ate)

You are correct, noob mistake, I did mean efficiency. Thank you for the correction.

I do 1.050 grain to glass brews in 5-6 days with US05 pretty regularly. For the most part, yeast rafts sit on top, but the beer is actually quite clear.

Thanks kharper6, nice to know. I think this one will probably go farther, it was dry, but felt like it had some co2 left in solution. It still needs some cleanup for clarity. I plan to recheck on Saturday.

2 gal paint buckets cheap at HD. I use them all the time....LHBS drills out the airlock hole in the top for me. Try to get down to 1.75 gal bottling and get 3 six packs. No need to rush and put wort in secondary's when the buckets are so cheap and so much less work than racking to secondary.

Thank you C-rider. I will keep that in mind next time I go to the hardware store. Definitely thinking about getting a 5 gal paint strainer. Is there a type I should look for? SWMBO is worried that I will poison myself if I use anything from HD, food grade comes up a lot.

Latest posts

Back