Fermentation and sunlight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I do fermentations in my basement, however my basement is not finished and there are no curtains or anything block sunlight. So the room has natural ambient sungligh. I ferment in clear glass. I wonder if I may be susseptable to a little skunking on my beers as a result of the ambient sunglight available during fermentation? I can sure throw a few t-shirts on the fermenters.

The sunlight can certainly lead to skunking, though only a little exposure isn't going to have much of an effect. If the sun exposure is enough to make you worried you might as well throw a towel or a cardboard box over it, its a pretty easy fix and will leave your mind at rest

Piggybacking on your question, what about brewing in the sun? My saison smelled skunky going IN to the fermenter after boiling for an hour in the sun.

I can't see how boiling in the sun would cause any problems whatsoever. People brew outside all the time.

Paper grocery shopping bag with a hole in the bottom is a simple fix for carboy light shield, just snip and flip.

I can't see how boiling in the sun would cause any problems whatsoever. People brew outside all the time.

It's still sunlight reacting with hops.

Edit: Decided to look it up. This thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/hops-sunlight-questions-skunking-55444/ says it's only an issue once fermentation has started, but it can happen within 15 minutes of exposure to sun. I'm not 100% convinced that boiling in direct sunlight with a large 60 minute hop charge wouldn't cause skunking...

i went home over my lunch break and put t-shirts over my fermenters....worked like a champ.

There really isn't much direct sunlight in a basement, but I wanted to make sure these beers are as tasty possible.

Wrapping it in tinfoil is especially good too, even if it does waste a lot of foil.

Latest posts

Back