Fermentaion procedures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamo27

Reaction score
I'm only just brewing my 3rd beer, an Irish red ale so you can imagine how new I am to this
I have beer smith and suggest I rack off after just 4 days then 10 days after that
Isn't this too soon? Can I trust this app? And procedure?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That would be bad advice. I'm not familiar with Beersmith, but it would seem that advice is a default set up and the brewer would make changes for the beer being brewed.
My general advice would be to leave your beer in the primary for at least two weeks then take your first hydrometer reading. At the optimum fermentation temperature for the yeast you are using this usually will be sufficient time for the fermentation to finish. After the fermentation is finished sediment will begin dropping out to clear the beer.
The beer will clear just as well in the primary as it could in a secondary vessel. Less work and less chance of an infection not using a secondary.

I did what the instructions said and it took 8 weeks of bottle conditioning before they were just ok. Then at my LHBS I asked about drinking after 2 weeks conditioning. The guy said just leave it in the primary for 2 weeks before checking, if at FG and you are using a floculant strain you can bottle. I find that most english strains take 3 weeks from boil to bottle,I started skipping secondary unless dryhopping and haven't noticed any difference.

Let it sit and ferment for 2-4 weeks. Everything will be okay and gravity should just drop to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back