Fermentable Sugars in Canned Fruit Chunks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugsfull

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at Pineapple wine. I read online a bunch of recipes and ended up just doing my own thing. Call it an experiment.

1 gallon ingredients:

I had a 108 oz, 6 lb can of Pineapple chunks in Juice.
- Strained Juice from chunks
I used about 3/4 of the total amount of juice and fruit.

1 banana chopped
1 big handful golden raisins

¼ tsp tannin
1 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
potassium metabisulfite - as recommended 1/4 tsp for 5 gals...so small amount.

The sugar is where I ran into an issue. I didn't have a scale but I did have a hydrometer. I made a syrup of 3 cups sugar dissolved in water. and added this to the bucket with the juice and fruit bag. I added water to near a gallon and decided to check the gravity. it was only about 1.06. I heard it should be around 1.09 for wine.

Forgetting that I had a bag of pineapple chunks, banana and raisins, I adjusted the liquid in the fermentor to 1.09.

I have not added yeast yet. but it struck me today that the fruit bag may give off too much fermentable sugars and turn my experiment from wine to rocket fuel.

Should I expect a significant amount of fermentable sugars to come from the fruit? If so, should I make some adjustments before pitching yeast?

Fruit is mostly water, so while it will contribute some fermentables, it will probably have a net effect of lowering the amount of fermentables, by volume.

Back