Fermentability of Coopers LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallybanger

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I typically do a lot of cider brewing and I'm thinking about starting 3-4 batches tonight.

I have 2 Coopers beer kit cans (a dark ale and a stout) kicking around and after an awful experience with the Coopers Mexican Cerveza I'm thinking I'm better off just using them in place of Dextrose. I typically add 16oz of dextrose per 16l of apple juice and end up with a cider that's about 7% and quite delicious. A buddy suggested using the Coopers kits and I like the idea as the Mexican Cerveza ended up getting mixed with cider and it's was pretty tasty!

Anyway, I'm tempted to add 16oz of this coopers LME in place of the 16oz of corn sugar but I'm betting that this LME isn't 100% fermentable. Anyone have any idea what the fermentability of these kits might me?

DME 1.046 pppg
Corn Sugar 1.042 pppg
Sucrose 1.046 pppg
LME 1.037 pppg
where pppg is points per lb per gallon

So you would need about 10% more corn sugar than DME to get the same fermentables, or 20% more LME.

It is about 75% fermentable. 1 lb of LME in 5 gallons will add ~.007 to the OG and a little less than .002 to the FG.

Back