Ferment temp, length, and yeast packet info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsharp4684

Novice
Reaction score
I'm gearing up to do my third batch; a Brewer's Best Holiday Ale kit. My first two (Oatmeal Stout and Mango Saison) were done by just following the kit directions and putting the fermentation buckets in a sink in my basement. The stout has come along quite well. It's quite drinkable, but has an off flavor I can't place (taking it to the next local home brew club meeting for some more experienced opinions). So I'm graduating to temperature control with the use of a fermentation chamber in an effort to improve my quality.

In the process of preparing for this step, I started looking into exactly what temp I should be targeting during fermentation. So I looked at the Nottingham Ale yeast information online. Now the mystery of the temperature is kinda solved, the yeast prefers 57F to 70F. Then I saw the statement "Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17°C." Does that mean, if I ferment at anything above 63F, it'll be done in 4 days? Or does that mean it's "done" in 4 days, and I should really let it sit for another 17 days? Will the yeast be done cleaning up after itself?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out: how accurate is the info from the yeast manufacturer? Is it something I should stick close to? Or is it more of a loose guideline.

My thought was to set the fermentation chamber to 64F, with the probe in a thermowell down in the wort. I'm just trying to avoid off flavors that I might get by bottling too early, but I'd prefer to bottle sooner rather than later. So if I don't have to wait three weeks to do that, then great!

Thanks in advance :mug:

The quick start generally means fermentation will begin a lot easier at that temperature or a little above it opposed to be at 57 degrees off the bat. A lot of times with ales I will pitch around the low 60's and let the yeast do its thing for a day and once activity is visible I will slowly reduce the temperature to the temp I want to ferment at .

For example if I pitch into wort that's 63 I will leave the temp set to 70 . Then when I check on it the next day it's at 68 and fermentation has begun I will change the controller to 68 , then drop it a degree an hour or so until I have stabilized the fermentation at 65 .

Fermentation is going to increase the temperature of the wort so having the temp set low could cause cooling to run before fermentation has begun which isn't going to hurt it but will inhibit the initial start up .

I'm gearing up to do my third batch; a Brewer's Best Holiday Ale kit. My first two (Oatmeal Stout and Mango Saison) were done by just following the kit directions and putting the fermentation buckets in a sink in my basement. The stout has come along quite well. It's quite drinkable, but has an off flavor I can't place (taking it to the next local home brew club meeting for some more experienced opinions). So I'm graduating to temperature control with the use of a fermentation chamber in an effort to improve my quality.

In the process of preparing for this step, I started looking into exactly what temp I should be targeting during fermentation. So I looked at the Nottingham Ale yeast information online. Now the mystery of the temperature is kinda solved, the yeast prefers 57F to 70F. Then I saw the statement "Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17°C." Does that mean, if I ferment at anything above 63F, it'll be done in 4 days? Or does that mean it's "done" in 4 days, and I should really let it sit for another 17 days? Will the yeast be done cleaning up after itself?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out: how accurate is the info from the yeast manufacturer? Is it something I should stick close to? Or is it more of a loose guideline.

My thought was to set the fermentation chamber to 64F, with the probe in a thermowell down in the wort. I'm just trying to avoid off flavors that I might get by bottling too early, but I'd prefer to bottle sooner rather than later. So if I don't have to wait three weeks to do that, then great!

Thanks in advance :mug:

If you didn't use temperature control you stout will have some esters that the yeast produce at higher temperatures. Stouts also take some time to mature so leaving yours longer in the bottles may get you the taste you want.

When you pitch your yeast at too high of a temperature they start reproducing quickly and fermentation begins. This may lead to a runaway temperature increase that is hard to bring into control and that leads to off flavors. It's better to bring the wort to the temperature desired for fermentation first, then pitch the yeast. If you pitch Nottingham at 57 degrees it will take 24 to 36 hours to show much activity but the beer will end up with clean flavors.

You don't really need a thermowell. Tape the probe to the side of the fermenter and use some insulation over it. Reports from people who have put a thermometer in a thermowell and another on the side of the fermenter show a difference of less than half a degree F., hardly significant in brewing beer.

The length of time it takes to ferment the beer depends on the strain of the yeast and the temperature. Your primary fermentation when the yeast are eating sugars and producing CO2 may last anywhere from 24 hours to 3 days or more. They will take another day or so to clean up the intermediate products of fermentation and then begin to flocculate and settle out. Some people will bottle at about 10 days. I prefer to wait longer as it lets more yeast settle out in the fermenter instead of collecting in the bottom of my bottles. That means that when I pour my beer I don't have to leave very much behind to avoid yeast in my glass.

Thanks for the input/information. I am looking forward to trying the stout again, with temp control. I had pitched it at 70 and airlock activity had ceased after 36 hours. I then moved it to a secondary for another week, then bottled after two unchanged gravity readings. It doesn't have much sediment at all, maybe 1/8", if that. It doesn't have a head at all, though. I wonder if that's temp related too.

Back