Ferment Help!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
I brewed an Octoberfest Ale this past weekend....used two different strains of yeast that I had leftover from previous batches that I made a starter with. The starter I made seemed to do okay, not great action but I thought it would be enough to get things going and grow from there. I started bubbling away about 6hrs after pitching. It never really did bubble that great though and only bubbled for about 2 days, if that. So I tried to aerate the wort a little to see if that would do anything.....did nothing...There was very minimal krausen as well....so I took a gravity reading. My starting OG was right about 1.54, when I took the reading 2 days ago it was about 1.26. I thought maybe try racking it off the yeast and back on to get it going again. There was very little slurry at the bottom as well. So yesterday I went and got a new vial of liquid yeast and pitched that. I still have no action.....and now my 2 piece airlock is not even moving, which it did before.....so what the heck is up with this? HELP!!!!

WLP001 which is the white labs california ale. I just took a temp reading to verify, and it is actually right at 71....it isn't the yeast is too warm though, because I have done about 4-5 batches with this same WLP001 at this same room temp since it's in my house and we keep the temp the same throughout the summer.....so we can rule that out.

Should I rack it into secondary to get it off what little yeast cake there is?

Don't bother with racking it, it will be a long time before you get any bad flavors from yeast. What I might do is consider rousing the yeast though. maybe tip your fermeter toward you and roll it a little to get some of that yeast in the cake back into suspension. You need the yeasties to keep working, racking may cause them to stop working all together!! Whatever you do, do NOT shake it at the this point. Although the headspace should be filled with CO2, I never trust shaking a fermenter once fermentation has started.

I read somewhere that a few crushed Beano tablets could help lower the F.G. of some beers, thus reducing the sweetness.

Would that be a possibility in this situation?

EdWort said:
I read somewhere that a few crushed Beano tablets could help lower the F.G. of some beers, thus reducing the sweetness.

Would that be a possibility in this situation?
I think you have to do that in the mash.

Thanks Clayof2day.....I did what you mentioned and this morning I had a bubble or two....and my 2 piece airlock has now risen back to the top of the water like the CO2 is back in the batch again......WOOO HOOO

Latest posts

Back