FermCapS and Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POAS

Reaction score
Does anyone use FermCap to prevent too much foaming while doing a starter? If so, when do you add it? When boiling the starter wort or afterwards? I had to add some after it had started and I am worried about contamination. Should I be worried about this?

Other FermCap questions:

Does it have to be refrigerated? Can it harbor bacteria? Is it normal for it to get darker? Mine kinda did and I wonder if it was growing something, or maybe it has oxidized and that's why it's darker?

Worry, worry, worry...

I boil my starters in a flask and add the Fermcap during the boil. I store it in a cupboard at room temperature. Neither of these have produced ill effects.

I don't know about the darkening. I would assume its nothing to worry about, but if you can't trust it just buy a new bottle.

I use it during the starter wort boil. I have also added it during starter fermentation when I'm pushing the limits of the flask. No ill effect ever.

I do keep it in the fridge and never had it change color.

I'll get a new one this weekend. I read more on it and it seems to have a shelf life of about 6 months. Mine's past that.

Thanks.

This stuff is amazing and I wouldn't be able to make appropriately sized starters with the equipment I have without it.
I would think that if its appearance has changed that there could be something wrong with it and wouldn't chance it.
I add mine at flame out to kill any bugs that may be living in it. Not sure I would chance adding it post pitch but if it's that or having a volcano in your kitchen what do you do.
Maybe transfer over to something with more head space until she settles.

Back