Fermcap Delay Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
Used fermcap this time around for the first time since the last 2 brews blew the lids off the buckets, went light 3 drops for 5 gallons... used yeast nutrient as well which I read slows fermentation... only been 2 days in the basement @ 62 degree with dry yeast (usually use white labs) and have yet to peek at it but wondering if Fermcap delays the fermentation? Not super worried yet... but no bubbles, smell from the tube or pressure on the lid (can usually push on it slightly and feel pressure, or slight bubbles).

I mostly use fermcap in my starters but when I have used it in the fermenter I've never noticed it to cause a delay in the start of my ferments. Two days w/o activity is about as long as I'd be willing to wait. At this point, I'd either raise the temp and/or pitch more yeast. Good luck.

Ya brew shop is closed tomorrow but be picking up some white labs on tues if this doesn't go. Wish I had time to do a proper starter.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Looks like I have activity... maybe bucket is leaking or needs a little stir?

2014-01-27 09.08.43.jpg

Looks like I have activity... maybe bucket is leaking or needs a little stir?

You have fermentation going. Now close up the bucket and leave it alone. No need to stir. The yeast know what to do and they will make beer.

Bubbling in the airlock does not mean anything so no need to worry. You got a nice healthy krausen going.

here watch this and tell me if this one is fermenting.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have fermentation going. Now close up the bucket and leave it alone. No need to stir. The yeast know what to do and they will make beer.

Bubbling in the airlock does not mean anything so no need to worry. You got a nice healthy krausen going.

here watch this and tell me if this one is fermenting.

Ya once I opened it it was pretty clear... I really don't care for dry yeast these days and when adding into the wort I like to stir it a little before closing it up rather than sprinkle which is what I did this time round. Oh well, let it sit another 4 weeks and keg. Forgot to get a OG as well (too cold outside to brew, frozen taps so did an extract inside... routine was off) but as long as I get to 1.01 or close I'll be fine this was a cheapo kit I got to put something into the kegerator while I wait for warmer days ha... thanks!

I've never had fermcap delay my fermentation and I use it for every brew. Must have been a leak in your bucket lid or airlock port.

I've never had fermcap delay my fermentation and I use it for every brew. Must have been a leak in your bucket lid or airlock port.

Ya it's a, probably, 15 year old bucket at this point and a backup... time for some new ones I guess. My good main one I filled with water after a water main break. Oh well, I just hate it when you don't see/hear anything and have to open it to find out what's going on.

Back