Ferm Wrap on SS BrewBucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milo_leon

Reaction score
Hello all,

We recently got two SS Brewtech Brewbuckets with the temp probe and they work really well - highly recommended! We notice that since the basement is typically 60 degrees (or colder), the yeast has been fermenting slightly cool (62-65 degrees).

We are thinking about adding temp control via a fermwrap (or another product if anyone else has recommendations) to introduce some heat and ferment/clean up at a warmer temperature if we need.

SS Brewtech has a FTSs system but that is $250 each! Would rather get a ferm wrap/inkbird for $65 each- wanted to see if anyone done this? Would I need to insulate the brew bucket?

Last edited:
Hello all,

We recently got two SS Brewtech Brewbuckets with the temp probe and they work really well - highly recommended! We notice that since the basement is typically 60 degrees (or colder), the yeast has been fermenting cool (62-65 degrees).

We are thinking about adding temp control via a fermwrap (or another product if anyone else has recommendations) to introduce some heat and ferment/clean up at a warmer temperature if we need.

SS Brewtech has a FTSs system but that is $250 each! Would rather get a ferm wrap/inkbird for $65 each- wanted to see if anyone done this? Would I need to insulate the brew bucket?

Several options:

You could buy a Fermwrap (or BrewBelt) with an Inkbird as you mention, and to insulate will make for much more stable control. Ss does sell those neoprene jackets for the buckets, but not sure if they sell them individually and not as a package with the controller and such. Even a blanket secured around the bucket will help.

What about cooling in hot months? I know the FTSs2 system handles all of that for $250, plus you'll need some sort of chiller and cooling pump system. That gets expensive.

Have you considered sitting the Brew Bucket down into a chest freezer controlled by the Inkbird? That system will give you cooling when needed plus you can plug in a Fermwrap to add warming if the temps get too low. I did this myself a couple of years ago and it works well. If you have room (and the inclination) the chest freezer I bought is 7 cf and I got it used for $75.

Several options:

You could buy a Fermwrap (or BrewBelt) with an Inkbird as you mention, and to insulate will make for much more stable control. Ss does sell those neoprene jackets for the buckets, but not sure if they sell them individually and not as a package with the controller and such. Even a blanket secured around the bucket will help.

What about cooling in hot months? I know the FTSs2 system handles all of that for $250, plus you'll need some sort of chiller and cooling pump system. That gets expensive.

Have you considered sitting the Brew Bucket down into a chest freezer controlled by the Inkbird? That system will give you cooling when needed plus you can plug in a Fermwrap to add warming if the temps get too low. I did this myself a couple of years ago and it works well. If you have room (and the inclination) the chest freezer I bought is 7 cf and I got it used for $75.

The basement is generally 60 degrees (or colder) year round. We do have a old wine cellar (now beer cellar lol) that we can use if summers months are too warm. I'll reach out to SS Brewtech and see if can get the jackets individually.

We've thought about a chest freezer but wanted to keep things simple right now.

Any difference between fermwrap and brewbelt other than power level (40w vs 15w)? Any concerns about using these on a metal surface like the brewbuckets?

The basement is generally 60 degrees (or colder) year round. We do have a old wine cellar (now beer cellar lol) that we can use if summers months are too warm. I'll reach out to SS Brewtech and see if can get the jackets individually.

We've thought about a chest freezer but wanted to keep things simple right now.

Any difference between fermwrap and brewbelt other than power level (40w vs 15w)? Any concerns about using these on a metal surface like the brewbuckets?

I used the Fermwrap and BrewBelt (one of each) directly on the stainless with great results. I'd tend to go with the Fermwrap simply because it covers more surface area than the belt. I think either is fine depending on the price and availability.

A 60F basement is pretty much ideal for most ales since some additional heat is created by the yeast as it ferments. So that heat along with a Fermwrap should be fine.

Lager styles needing to ferment at 50F may be a bit challenging, but with some research, you can try some various lager yeast strains that ferment a bit warmer.

I used the Fermwrap and BrewBelt (one of each) directly on the stainless with great results. I'd tend to go with the Fermwrap simply because it covers more surface area than the belt. I think either is fine depending on the price and availability.

A 60F basement is pretty much ideal for most ales since some additional heat is created by the yeast as it ferments. So that heat along with a Fermwrap should be fine.

Lager styles needing to ferment at 50F may be a bit challenging, but with some research, you can try some various lager yeast strains that ferment a bit warmer.

i think we should be able to lager in the wine cellar - there is an AC unit in there, but even without the AC it feels like 50 degrees in there.

Hello all,

We recently got two SS Brewtech Brewbuckets with the temp probe and they work really well - highly recommended! We notice that since the basement is typically 60 degrees (or colder), the yeast has been fermenting slightly cool (62-65 degrees).

The yeast fermenting at 62-65 is actually ideal for a lot of ale yeasts. If you could just bring the bucket upstairs to a warmer location after say 4 days that's all you need to do. You'll get nice clean beer, might take a day or two longer but it'll be worth it. If you want to make saisons then yeah you'll need warmer but 62-65 is great for almost any Ale. If you can't bring the bucket up to a warmer location then some sort of heat towards the end of fermentation is ideal. I have three 7g Chronicals and have the FTSS heating and cooling system for them. I just put the heating pad on the outside of the neoprene jacket so I can easily take it off when I need to clean the FVs. I don't think you need to insulate but it wouldn't be a bad idea, Reflectix at Home depot would do the trick. If you do go with a fermwrap place it as low as you can on the bucket.

I use an inkbird with a similar item as a ferm wrap inside a small mini fridge. Works great. I was worried that the ferm wrap wouldn't get a saison up to 77 but it did without any issue. Has worked great for me.

I have the FTSS system for cooling only. I got my buckets before there was a second option for heating. I use brew belts for heating. I have several of them for various projects. I was able to get fermentation temp. up to 100F while doing a Kveik fermentation with 2 brew belts. I am also fermenting in a basement, but my basement is heated- in the summer it is actually cooler down there as we don't use heat in the house. I use the brew belt with an inkbird controller. It is pretty easy to switch between the 2 temp control systems. Having the neo. jacket helps as well.

Just purchased a northern brewer dual stage temp controller and a FermoTemp electric ferm heater...the heater is on of the few that says good to use with stainless on the product description, so well see how it goes!

Just my 2 cents, I use this on my brew bucket and it works like a charm. I plug this into an InkBird ITC 308 along with the chest freezer I picked up at a garage sale for $35 and good to go - temp control!

The ferm wrap will work just fine for your brew bucket. No need to insulate the bucket but if you're not going to be using a chest freezer, insulation may help keep the heater from turning on and off so frequently.

Back