Ferm question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamming

Reaction score
I have a Blichmann ferminator and have a Canadian blonde in it for 9 days today I checked my gravity at 1.010 and fermentation has stopped so I dump the trub and now I just checked and fermentation has picked up again. Is this normal ? The last two batches I have done ale kits did not do this. Very controlled temp in my cave.

hopsalot said:
what do you mean you dumped the trub?

I think he means he has a metal cylindrical fermentor with a cone bottom that has a valve to drop yeast and trub out the bottom.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Beer works in mysterious ways. RDWHAHB

I think he means he has a metal cylindrical fermentor with a cone bottom that has a valve to drop yeast and trub out the bottom.

Yes exactly what I meant. Thanks for the vote of confidence was a bit worried.

Jamming, I would'nt start to worry just yet. Keep in mind that there is quit a bit of Co2 still in solution after fermentation has completed. If you "dumped" your trub using the lower valve on your conical it's likely that you just roused it up a bit. Keep an eye on it for a bit and see if it continues, and keep an eye on your gravity. if it contiunes to drop you may have some other buggies in there, but don't stress just yet. Be patient, good brews come to those who wait.

cheers.

Jamming, I would'nt start to worry just yet. Keep in mind that there is quit a bit of Co2 still in solution after fermentation has completed. If you "dumped" your trub using the lower valve on your conical it's likely that you just roused it up a bit. Keep an eye on it for a bit and see if it continues, and keep an eye on your gravity. if it contiunes to drop you may have some other buggies in there, but don't stress just yet. Be patient, good brews come to those who wait.

cheers.

I appreciate the response. I was very careful to sanitize everything with star San so if it's bugs then man I better go get some hospital gowns and masks. Lol ! I watched a couple brewing videos and I was way more picky than the videos. I think your right maybe just woke it up !

Your beer is never COMPLETELY done fermenting - even lambics that have been in the bottle for five years can still have some juice left in the tank. The reason for this is that yeast have to work progessively harder to find fermentable sugars as they consume more and more of them. In addition to which, the medium they're living in becomes increasingly toxic as time goes on (because it fills up with alcohol, dead yeast, CO2, etc.)

When you stir up the beer, you introduce O2, which reactivates the yeast. You also shake some of the CO2 out of solution, which makes the environment less hostile for the yeast. And you also redistribute the fermentable sugars, which makes it easier for the yeast to find them.

That's why rousing the fermenter (either by shaking it, bubbling CO2 through the bottom port, or just dumping trub) restarts fementation. The only question is how many fermentable sugars are left in solution: if it's a lot, you'll see a change in gravity, temperature changes, and maybe airlock activity. If it's only a little, the changes may be too small to detect.

So, in short, what happened to you was normal!

DOH!! dont mind me I just think I know what I am talking about

Back