Ferm Chamber Took a 2nd Sh*t

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
My fermentation chamber has finally bit it. To start, I first bought this upright freezer over a year ago at a used appliance store. Got a great deal, and it was in great condition. Worked well using a Johnson single stage controller. Once winter hit though, I needed a heat source, as ambient temps in my garage can get down to 40F.

So I make a heater from a lightbulb in a new paint can. Worked great. Basically kept the heater on all the time, and let the freezer ping down the temp to keep me where I needed to be (I feel this has caused my failure).

Around 7 months ago, I noticed my freezer light was on, and the light on the controller was on, but the freezer wasnt running. I thought it was a start relay issue, but it ended up being the defrost timer. Just needed a small turn and voila, back to working. Had to do this a few times here and there, but it saved me from having to buy a new unit.

Finished my ZD clone this past week and was starting my dryhop when I noticed the fan was running, but the amibent temp was 74F in the freezer. It was not blowing cold air. I tinkered with the defrost timer again, but these were new symptoms, and it wasnt resolving the issue. Then I noticed the compressor wasnt running. I checked voltage to the unit, and it was 120v. So I then looked into the relay. Tinkered some more, and thought it might be the overload protector. I bypassed the overload protector and BOOM, compressor kicked on. Just need a new overload. Wrong.

The overload had continuity, so I tried it on the compressor again, and it would pop after a few seconds. So it was basically tripping. I then decided to check amps being drawn from the compressor. The unit is rated @ 5amps. Bypassed the overload, hit the power, and waited about 20 seconds (to record running amps and not startup amps) and it was drawing a consistent 7.5amps.

Therefore, I think the compressor has suffered an electrical failure. I will ohm it out later just as a second verification, but I have already found a almost new chest freezer for a steal, so I am picking it up Sat. Cheaper than replacing the compressor.

I feel that it was kicking on too much (even with the ASD on 3) since I was supply a constant heat source. So I plan to build an STC-1000 so I can utilize a dual energy source and hopefully keep the compressor from kicking on so much.

Long story, but hey, if anyone else is experiencing any similar symptoms with their units, maybe this could help point someone in the right direction to diagnose the issue.

Yeah, you need to either heat or cool. The compressor had to be running waaaaay more than it should. With constant heat, once it hit desired temp, it was immediately shooting back up and causing the freezer to turn on. Ideally you will have good amounts of time at desired temp without anything running, just the insulation holding temp.

you should look into making a temperature controller that only controls one system at a time.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-iwFLykxs[/ame]

That is why I am probably going to get rid on my Johnson 419 and build an STC 1000. Most of the year I can get away with just cooling, but in the winter time, a heat source is a must for my location.

I also control a freezer with an STC-1000 and could not be happier. I use a heating pad for my heat source, and it works well for me. Granted I only have room for one fermenter and the $30.00 or so dollars to build it was a great investment.

I also control a freezer with an STC-1000 and could not be happier. I use a heating pad for my heat source, and it works well for me. Granted I only have room for one fermenter and the $30.00 or so dollars to build it was a great investment.

Im picking up a 7.2cu chest freezer Sat, so I will still be able to fit 2 carboys in the chamber. Ive looked into the heat wraps for my heat source as well. Would setting it between the two carboys (I do 10gal) be sufficient enough for heat to both carboys, or is it only effective if wrapped around the carboy?

I don't wrap it around actually, I place it underneath. In other circumstances I have split a heating pad between two fermenters. Heating pads work very gently, so it will take hours to raise the internal temperature more than a few degrees. A slow temperature change is good in my eyes; it will prevent the fermenters from having crazy temperature swings and cycling the heating and cooling repeatedly in the beginning. Before I pitch my yeast I get the wort temperature as low as possible w/o resorting to ice; low 60's if possible. I generally ferment all my ales in the low 60's as I am usually not in a hurry to bang a batch out. So I generally pitch, attach probe and set temperature to where I want it. If I can be of any further help, let me know.

I don't wrap it around actually, I place it underneath. In other circumstances I have split a heating pad between two fermenters. Heating pads work very gently, so it will take hours to raise the internal temperature more than a few degrees. A slow temperature change is good in my eyes; it will prevent the fermenters from having crazy temperature swings and cycling the heating and cooling repeatedly in the beginning. Before I pitch my yeast I get the wort temperature as low as possible w/o resorting to ice; low 60's if possible. I generally ferment all my ales in the low 60's as I am usually not in a hurry to bang a batch out. So I generally pitch, attach probe and set temperature to where I want it. If I can be of any further help, let me know.

I too, get it down to pitching temps before adding the yeast. I like to pitch most ales around 60-62F and hold for a few days.

I will see how the paint can works in the new chamber, and may adjust to a blanket if need be

Latest posts

Back