Feeling bad about not using my LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermentables, north little rock ar, great store. Most of the equipment they carry is reasonably priced, grains are the same as any online store. They might run out of a hop or yeast variety from time to time, but its cool. The best thing is, mike the owner will help you with anything. Matter of fact, he has a 20 gallon set up in the works for customer use! Buy the grains there, brew with a couple friends and have the advice you need on tap.

Beat that online retailer!

I noticed that Fiftypoundsack includes free shipping which helps a little but still I can go to the MoreBeer store in Concord and get a sack of 2row for 35 dollars.

yeah im sure it would cost $15 to ship but i wasnt sure if 50lb.com had that built in

why does northern brewer have a sack of rahr 2row for $15 lessthen fiftypoundsack?

jw
"Free" shipping from fiftypound sack vs added shipping on NB.

Free shipping rarely means what it implies. It almost always means that the shipping cost is already included in the product price.

"Free" shipping from fiftypound sack vs added shipping on NB.

Free shipping rarely means what it implies. It almost always means that the shipping cost is already included in the product price.

thats why you shop total price.
Sometimes higher product cost and free/flat rate shipping is cheaper, sometimes low product cost and higher shipping is cheaper.

I support my LBHS as much as possible but he just doesn't carry as much stuff as I need. I don't feel bad about it if I go out somewhere else to shop. It's not like we are married or anything. I prefer White Labs over Wyeast, and he only sells Wyeast so I have to go out for that for sure.

I really like Jeremy at Apexbrewwares. He's like a small LBHS but is willing to order stuff for you. His shipping club deal is flat out awesome and if I order something, I have it in time for the weekend easily. Jeremy is the man.

I still have to go to BMW or NB for White Labs as Jeremy is Wyeast only for the most part. He stocked up on White Labs for me but nobody bought it except for me. Looks like most people go Wyeast from that little bit of data. Props to Brew Your Own Beer in Tucson on Campbell. They have a great selection of White Labs.

I try to use Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson, Texas even though it is an hour away. I can get some stuff online cheaper but I try to get my grain and yeast there. Too many times I have had to make an "emergency" run because of poor planning. Besides, Twin Peaks and the Flying Saucer is just around the corner. You cannot get the personal advice from the web as quickly. We bought our original brew kettle and carboy there but we bought a Stout Conical and decided that any new equipment would be Stout. We have a 14.5 and 27 Gallon Stout conical asn a 45 gallon Mash Tun with a HLT and Brew Kettle on order. I wish they had them locally and I would have bought them there. I have found that with shipping, the price is not that much different for my sundries, certainly less than the $10 per 5 gallons elsewhere in this tread. Support your local LHBS when you can.

mxpx5678 said:
I noticed that Fiftypoundsack includes free shipping which helps a little but still I can go to the MoreBeer store in Concord and get a sack of 2row for 35 dollars.

Brew masters in San leandro has them for 36 dollars. Morebeer is too far away for me.

Brew masters in San leandro has them for 36 dollars. Morebeer is too far away for me.

Good to know. I work in Livermore so sometimes I can head up to MoreBeer on my lunch breaks. I wonder if San Leandro would be closer.

Here in Denver we're lucky to have at least four homebrew shops. Unless it was for a big purchase at a significant discount, I personally wouldn't think of shopping online.

But Im a "keep your money local " kinda guy. I'll willingly pay more to support local bidness. I guess it comes from having small business owners for parents.

mxpx5678 said:
Good to know. I work in Livermore so sometimes I can head up to MoreBeer on my lunch breaks. I wonder if San Leandro would be closer.

I don't think so. Hoptech is in Dublin but they're kinda pricey.

I don't really understand the somewhat condescending "consumerist attitude" posts here. The homebrew market is among the most purely domestic capitalist markets in the nation. The products are largely domestic, and the stores are almost all privately owned by US residents. It's fantastic. No matter where you shop, you are supporting domestic commerce. So, if an LHBS cannot price competitively, there is no reason to shop there, IMHO!

I have two that I go to. Well, three.

There is the one close to my school, which I go to for most recipes. They have grain prices right on par with Northern Brewer, but don't have a good bulk selection.

The second is the one closest to my house which I go to for quick runs when I run out of yeast or need an extra airlock or a three pound sack of DME for starters. I go here mostly because the owner is the one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He let me borrow his showroom Victoria mill for the weekend when I was going to my brother's house to brew and the mill in the shop wasn't running. If that isn't service, I don't know what is. Only thing is, he doesn't sell anything less than pound increments and the largest amount he carries is ten pounds. I have bought a couple of these, simply because this guy has earned my business by his devotion to his customers. That is worth my money and a sixer of my homebrew every so often.

The third is Northern Brewer in Minneapolis. My girlfriend lives near there, so when I visit, I grab a few things in bulk from the shop there. I don't think NB can be beat for bulk grain prices. $35 for a sack of 2row, $55 for a sack of Weyermann Munich? Yes, please.

phoenixs4r said:
I don't think so. Hoptech is in Dublin but they're kinda pricey.

I frequent hoptech often. It is really close. As is good brewer in Livermore. They are both good. Then I also use barley and wine in Modesto on the weekend.

From google maps it looks like San leandro would be a quicker drive than concord. I will have to try sometime.

We are spoiled here with so many great shops.

Yuri_Rage said:
I don't really understand the somewhat condescending "consumerist attitude" posts here. The homebrew market is among the most purely domestic capitalist markets in the nation. The products are largely domestic, and the stores are almost all privately owned by US residents. It's fantastic. No matter where you shop, you are supporting domestic commerce. So, if an LHBS cannot price competitively, there is no reason to shop there, IMHO!

Yurt, that's true however every dollar spent locally still tends to recirculate twice as much money in the economy as dollars spent elsewhere.

The last study I saw pointed to figures that for every $100 spent locally $34-40 recirculated in the economy. Vs $100 spent at a national chain or online less than $20 recirculated in the economy.

So yes, buying from the online hbs still benefits domestic commerce it's not to the same level as buying local.

You should still spend your money wisely obviously... Buying local at 30% more may be good for the economy but it's still bad for my pocket.

I use my local homebrew store they are the same price as online and even have and online store I like the advice and they help me with my brew. I don't pay anymore than online prices. The grains and hops are the same price as I can get online the only difference is I do go to the brew restaurant they have next door and recommend it to everyone the food is great and the beer is from the store.

think of it this way; if you could help out someone, wouldn't you first pick your neighbor?

i don't spend all my money locally (half i'd guess) but if i could choose, i'd be inclined to start there.

but then again my LHBS doesn't quite get "carafa3", "brett-l" or "crystal rye"... they don't carry all i want.

think of it this way; if you could help out someone, wouldn't you first pick your neighbor?

If he really was my neighbor, but its simply a retail transaction.
If there is a benefit of price, convenience or service, sure, but when all 3
are lacking, its "add to cart".

I have one brew shop in town and it is a guy who runs it out of his garage. I also have a Brewer who I buy my bottles from and he gives me yeast all the time but he is a 100 + miles away.

Short end of the stick is my home brew shop guy is a great guy to deal with. I go over every Friday after beer and cigar night and drink some beer with him and place my order. All in all I really enjoy my Friday mornings and I get to brew soon afterwards.

As far as cost goes for the grain he cannot be beat. A buck a pound for two row and well under 1.50 for every thing else. My last grain bill for a 6 gallon batch of beer was 9.75. Yup under ten bucks.

Not sure if he ships anything but I will ask him this Friday and post his website if he does

mxpx5678 said:
I try and support my local store when I can. Most of the prices arent too far off from online especially after shipping and taxes etc....

But if I am ordering an expensive piece of equipment or a bag of grain I am always going to go with what is cheapest.

I'm with you. I have three LHBS within a twenty minute drive... Two of which the advice itself is well worth the drive (one not so much... 'uh, its mead, I think'.... You *think*? Or are you guessing??? So sad...). I am always on the lookout for a deal, though. Craigslist local sellers, Midwest, Northern Brewer... I have used these resources to my advantage to compile parts and put pieces together myself, which has given me an education in the process, along with saving some big bucks. With all I've purchased over the last year, including equipment for all-grain, keggle, thermometers, hydrometers, tubing, spoons, mash paddle, carboys, extract kits, hops, corny's, grains, measuring / ph equipment, yeast culturing, yadda yadda yadda, I've spent less than three hundred bucks.... Awesome. I know my LHBS is there for those last-minute purchases, questions, and a sample of tasty brew. :)

You should consider yourself fortunate to have a LHBS. Also consider what you would do about that one ingredient you overlooked if you no longer had one.

I much prefer shopping at my LHBS. In fact, I don't think I've ever bought anything online. They do cost more, but I would rather spend the extra money per batch and get some good advice, as well know how fresh things are, then save the money. Plus they often mark-down their old ingredients, so if I'm doing a sour ale, I can get some old hops for it and not worry. That's not to mention that they have beer on tap and give me one nearly every time I'm in there.

For real. I never remember EVERYTHING when I place an online order. My closest brew store is an hour and a half...I wish someone nearby would overcharge me.

my LHBS for the most part is cheaper then online places :mug:
Mine here in town is the same..the prices are just about the same price as online..and if they are a little more expensive then I just think about the time I save in getting it online..

aye... I usually order online as I plan ahead. But I also use my LHBS for things I may forget to order and to refill my CO2. I dont buy their kits anymore (Brewers Best).
Its only a 20min drive and there only open Thur-Sun. Located in a farmers market so they get ppl browsing the store all the time.
Infact, I was in there last week and bought another 5g CO2 tank and noticed they were expanding. I was really glad to see that!!!
Im new to brewing so my next step is Partials then AG, and see them in my future as well as online sites.
And just like everyone else says about their LHBS owners... very, very helpfull and knowledgeable <- (wow, cant believe spell check didn't correct me on that word) Home Brew for the win!

Just visited my homebrew store. Gas to get there about equals the cost of shipping from an online vendor. Just bought whirfloc, some caps, a case of bottles, 5lbs munich, 3 lbs carapils and 3lbs DME. Overall I probably spent about$7 more using the local store. Ingredients prices arent that far off of the online vendor I usually use, but its the little things that differ. The 10 pack of whirfloc was $5.50 at the LHBS, while my normal online vendor its $2. DME was about $4 more - Quite a big difference! Bottles were $1 less tho!

OhCrap said:
On the last visit to my LHBS I was getting supplies and I ran a recipe by him and told him what i needed. After about 1 minute he looked at me an told me 'I have all this stuff to send out so what can I get you?'
1st I had already told him
2nd it seemed he preferred dealing online....
This had happened the time before aswell
I was spend around &euro;50 each time
Now I look on line to see if prices are cheaper but I pass the store once a week so it's easier to call in but he needs to change is attitude very soon or I'll stop buying there

I have to take back everything I said about the LHBS owner. I called in this morning to collect ingredients etc, he asked what I was planning and when was I brewing, he offered some advice and told me to bring in my grains on Friday, to get crushed free of charge, as in brewing on sat. I asked him about finings and he threw me a sachet at no charge, all he wanted was a bottle of the brew to critique. Nice bloke afterall

Brew Your Own Brew in Tucson is hands down the only reason I made it past my first batch. I screwed it up something fierce and ended up with alcoholic juice instead of a light strawberry pale ale I was going for. I went into BYOB and spoke with the owner for a very long time and he went over every possible scenario that could have resulted in my bad beer. Not to mention when I was doing extract kits still, and i may be biased saying this, but he had some of the best recipes I've ever had. Love my LHBS, they get all my patronage

If you've got such an LHBS, I can see where you'd have that loyalty. I'm still looking for......ANY.

My LHBS is awesome. They helped me immensely for my first brew. I was standing in line to buy a hydrometer and one of the owners saw me and informed me I had grabbed one for spirits. So he explained the difference and explained a lot to me.

Heck, they even gave me pointers on my corned beef! :D

my LHBS is within walking distance of my house, AND has great prices. I buy pretty much everything from them. Gotta love Beervana. :)

Its no longer my homebrew store anymore, but I just saw a FB advertisement for a homebrewstore saying a kit would ship for $9.99 to the immediate area... Um really? How do you expect to compete by saying you'd ship 1 kit for $10 to people in your local area when there are stores that offer $6.99 and $7.99 flat rate...

Doesn't make me feel bad not supporting such places haha

Its no longer my homebrew store anymore, but I just saw a FB advertisement for a homebrewstore saying a kit would ship for $9.99 to the immediate area... Um really? How do you expect to compete by saying you'd ship 1 kit for $10 to people in your local area when there are stores that offer $6.99 and $7.99 flat rate...

It may be that they simply can't do any better. If they're a smaller business, they may not be able to obtain as good shipping rates or make up for a loss on the shipping as well as the higher volume places.

Also, you have to look at the total cost, not just the line item for shipping. If the kit is $3 less than the other guys, then the effective price is the same.

Finally, what's the shipping time? The $7 and $8 shipping deals are usually ground, and often packed and shipped with lower priority. If the $10 is delivered faster, it may be fairer to compare it to faster shipping options from the other guys.

It may be that they simply can't do any better. If they're a smaller business, they may not be able to obtain as good shipping rates or make up for a loss on the shipping as well as the higher volume places.

Also, you have to look at the total cost, not just the line item for shipping. If the kit is $3 less than the other guys, then the effective price is the same.

Finally, what's the shipping time? The $7 and $8 shipping deals are usually ground, and often packed and shipped with lower priority. If the $10 is delivered faster, it may be fairer to compare it to faster shipping options from the other guys.

You are right, I did not compare the total cost. However I would consider the shipping speed to be negligible given that the quoted $10 was for the local area. Its only gonna take 1-2 days for this radius even with the slowest option

Yes, but that's my point. If it's slightly (~$3) more expensive but gets there faster than the guys halfway across the country, that might be of value to some people.

By the way, I'm not trying to be contrary or disagreeable, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the localish shop is more expensive AND has more expensive shipping. If they cost more and there's no benefit, then I agree with you 100% about going elsewhere with no hard feelings. I'll personally pay higher prices for a LOCAL HBS, but if I'm mail ordering anyway, I'll usually go with the least expensive. Not always---I had good experiences with one particular fairly large online shop, so I've mostly gone with them as long as prices are roughly comparable to the competition, even if theirs are an inconsequential couple bucks higher.

We have a couple of LHBS in South Central Ak now but it is still cheaper for many items to order online and have it delivered to my door. Some of my buddies and I reduce the horrendous shipping costs by going together and splitting the fees.

I live just out of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area, and I either buy my stuff at Northern Brewer, or Midwest Supplies. I've had great luck with both, and wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.

Back