Feeling bad about not using my LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy everything at the LHBS with the exception of hardware and Hops. They really have a limited selection on anything to do with kegging, and I don't want to modify my plans to fit what they carry, so I order it all online. They also always charge $2.50 an oz. for hops. Not too bad, but when I order them in bulk at $1 an oz, it's hard to miss that. They are right in line with the best online prices for grain and yeast, maybe a touch more, but when you factor in shipping, they come out cheaper.

I do a pretty healthy mix of both. If I'm ordering a bunch of stuff, I'll probably go online or to AHS, especially if I'm looking for their clone kits and stuff. I also have bought hops from HopsDirect or from the sellers on here, because they're really pricey at the LHBS.

I am fortunate for a couple of reasons when it comes to my LHBS:
- It's Beer, Beer and More Beer....so the selection is pretty awesome and the markup isn't huge
- They always have "samples" when I'm there and knowledgeable folks
- It's walking distance from a local craft brewer that I also like, so I make the trip and go do both in the same day.

The big thing is, if I decide today that I want to brew on Sunday, AHS isn't going to help me. It means it's time to take a saturday afternoon to spend at the homebrew store/brewery.

I bet I have spent over $1000 there the last 2 years.

I try to use them only for yeast, they have tons of wyeast.

They are killer for people who are just starting, they know their stuff, but I get hammered on grain and hop costs. Their hardware is reasonably priced.

I'm fortunate that I live a 10-minute walk from my LHBS, so I usually buy all my ingredients there. Prices are slightly higher, but the service is great. I was in there trying to build a 2-keg manifold for my CO2 tank from a wye and some shutoff valves, and the guy saved me 30 bucks in parts by showing me a better way. You can't get that online! That said, I do buy some of the more expensive items (temp controllers, grain mill, brewpots etc.) online because I can save up to 30% over the LHBS. I like to support the local business though, because they're homebrewers who wanted to make a living from their hobby.

The last 4 batches I have ordered from Midwest instead of going to my LHBS. It's cheaper even with the shipping, and it's delivered to my door. Working and going to school full time make it difficult to squeeze in the time to go to my LHBS.

Then again, last time I was in there he expanded and doubled the store in size, so he can't be doing that bad. :eek:

My LHBS is expanding too, but it doesn't seem to be driving down the prices any. The owner of my LHBS is a very nice person; but the service in my LHBS can be bad at times. Their prices for grain are 40% higher than my preferred HBT vendor, and their prices for hardware are at least double. Plus, the drive to my LHBS takes about 90 minutes round trip--on a good day.

Higher prices, long wait times, long drive time--to me, avoiding the LHBS is a no brainer. I order from HBT vendors and it arrives at my house days later, without the hassle and with significant savings.

I'm sorry, but there is no reason that my LHBS has to price things the way they do. If they want my business they will have to price commodity items accoringly.

PS-If Bremaster's warehouse can succeed selling stuff on the net AND having a store; why can't my LHBS?

I do not mind paying extra, say up to $10 per batch, to support my LHBS; however, I almost always end up buying online, and for what is worth, I almost always feel bad too :eek:

The reasons I prefer online are:

1-I often find what I really need online and don't need to look for substitutes from my LHBS.
2- The big online megastores out there pack and ship hundreds of pounds of ingredients every day, so a fresh product is guaranteed since things move in and out fast.

So, because of 1 and 2, the quality of the beer is often better from online ingredients, without mentioning the cheaper price tag for most batches... so I find it hard to resist. I know... it’s evil but it is the reality.

I don't have a local shop near me but I'd probably go online anyway.

I just think the megastores seems to be up to speed with the most current processes and techniques and their equipement is better/cheaper.

I am not opposed to local stores at all (especially for something like yeast) but it comes down to price and selection.

I think it depends on the LHBS and your needs. I have two "local" shops. Both are about 30 minutes from me but in opposite directions. One of them can suck a big fat donkey **** for all I care. They're horribly overpriced ($4/oz hops, $12 Wyeast packs, $4/lb grain). They have no sort of grain selection. The guy running it is nice enough but unless there's some sort of emergency and I happen to be in the area, I'm not going there. If they go out of business, that's fine by me. If there's a cataclysm and that's the only brew shop left on earth, then I guess I stop brewing. It's that bad.

The other one is great. He has reasonable prices (most hops $1.50/oz, $7 Wyeast, $1.50/lb base grain, $2/lb specialty grain). He's a great guy to talk to. He gives our local club members a 10% discount. He's actually stayed open for me a few extra minutes one time when I was running late and called ahead. He swapped a hydrometer for me no-questions-asked when one I bought was cracked right out of the box. Sometimes he's out of stuff and sometimes he doesn't carry stuff I think he should (like some types and sizes of tubing), but overall if I can make the 30 minute trip and he has what I need, I go there.

But I also don't hesitate to buy online. Sometimes I just can't make the trip to the LHBS to fit in with my brewing schedule or sometimes I need something he doesn't carry and I buy some other stuff online too to offset the shipping cost.

I think I give my favorite LHBS and my favorite online store plenty of business. It just comes down to my needs at the time, but if my favored LHBS meets those needs, that's my first choice. I will say that when I first started brewing, the brewshop that got me going and sold me my beginner kit was also a fantastic shop, but they went out of business and for about 2 years I had to always order online before my current LHBS opened near the old one. I really missed that shop during those wilderness years. Don't take your local shop for granted if it's worth a squat. If you'd miss your LHBS if it left, then try to patronize it as much as is reasonable for you.

When I lived in Syracuse, I always went to my LHBS for ingredients and bottles. For equipment, I would either make my own, buy online or, occasionally go to my LHBS. Now that I live in Atlanta, I have a few more choices.

My closest LHBS is sketchy at best and I won't be going back there. it is about 20 minutes away from my house. The next closest is about 40 minutes away and is probably the nicest LHBS I have ever been to physically. My other LHBS is BMW but it is about an hour away. I haven't had the chance to get there in person, but I have ordered supplies from them and will continue to do so.

My plan is to basically split my business between the two. I love BMW's Brew Builder because it makes it ultra easy to order recipes (especially ones that I want to repeat) The other shop has won my business because of his selection, prices, service and knowledge. When we were there a few weeks ago, there was another couple there trying to clone Terrapin's RyePA and I listened in on him helping them assemble the ingredients... I was quite impressed. When it came time for me to check out, we chatted for quite some time and he even gave my daughter a lollipop, making sure to use her name (SWMBO had been talking to her on the other side of the counter.)

My daughter has half of her soccer games not far from that shop, so it is a bit easier to pop over after her game. And now that Ed has his new store up and running, we are going to plan a Saturday to head over there and make a few stops on that side of town that we have been putting off.

I definitely have no reservations about not patronizing an LHBS that does to meet my needs though.

When I lived in Syracuse, I always went to my LHBS for ingredients and bottles. For equipment, I would either make my own, buy online or, occasionally go to my LHBS. Now that I live in Atlanta, I have a few more choices.

My closest LHBS is sketchy at best and I won't be going back there. it is about 20 minutes away from my house. The next closest is about 40 minutes away and is probably the nicest LHBS I have ever been to physically. My other LHBS is BMW but it is about an hour away. I haven't had the chance to get there in person, but I have ordered supplies from them and will continue to do so.

My plan is to basically split my business between the two. I love BMW's Brew Builder because it makes it ultra easy to order recipes (especially ones that I want to repeat) The other shop has won my business because of his selection, prices, service and knowledge. When we were there a few weeks ago, there was another couple there trying to clone Terrapin's RyePA and I listened in on him helping them assemble the ingredients... I was quite impressed. When it came time for me to check out, we chatted for quite some time and he even gave my daughter a lollipop, making sure to use her name (SWMBO had been talking to her on the other side of the counter.)

My daughter has half of her soccer games not far from that shop, so it is a bit easier to pop over after her game. And now that Ed has his new store up and running, we are going to plan a Saturday to head over there and make a few stops on that side of town that we have been putting off.

I definitely have no reservations about not patronizing an LHBS that does to meet my needs though.

Which one is sketchy? I've never been in a LHBS that wasn't sketchy.

My LHBS isn't $10 higher on stuff, their kits range from $38 to $75 bucks and most of their equipment is way higher than what I can find online. Why pay $48 dollars for a Cream Ale kit at my LHBS when I can get the same kit for $20 at Northern Brewer? NB has pretty much become my LHBS. I'm all for supporting my LHBS, and I do buy mu yeast, sanitizer, and misc. odds and ends there, and stop in snd talk with people, but I also have to pay bills, feed my family, AND feed my brewing addiction on a limited income. :) So, yeah, I do feel bad sometimes,but not for too long.

Which one is sketchy? I've never been in a LHBS that wasn't sketchy.

I'm talking about the one over on Indian Trail in Lilburn. The guy seemed nice enough, but for me the selection was not there, the emphasis seemed to be more to the wine side (fair enough, but not for me) and the cleanliness wasn't where I would have liked it.

Contrast that with Brew Depot in Alpharetta, well stocked, good balance between beer & wine (in my view) updated and spotless. Definitely not sketchy. Now, the clientele may be a different story...:drunk:

I'm talking about the one over on Indian Trail in Lilburn. The guy seemed nice enough, but for me the selection was not there, the emphasis seemed to be more to the wine side (fair enough, but not for me) and the cleanliness wasn't where I would have liked it.

Contrast that with Brew Depot in Alpharetta, well stocked, good balance between beer & wine (in my view) updated and spotless. Definitely not sketchy. Now, the clientele may be a different story...:drunk:

20 minutes from Lilburn, 40 minutes from Alpharetta, and an hour from ATL.

That triangulates your position somewhere around Braselton.

There is a LHBS in Athens. It makes the Lilburn store look like the Taj Mahal.

You should know the Lilburn store has been there since 1978 when it was legalized, owned by the same family. The man is somewhat curt and not much of a talker, but his wife and their daughter are very friendly and helpful. The best beer I've brewed to date (which isn't saying much) was an oatmeal stout recipe the older lady put together for me on the spot and wrote the directions down on a scrap of paper.

Wow, spot on there... I'm not sure if I should be impressed or a bit creeped out!

Like I said, the guy seemed nice enough and curt is the word I would use. That is interesting that they have been around for that long. I don't want to seem like I am bad-mouthing them cause I certainly respect that they have been there since the beginning and I don't doubt that some great brews come out of there. For me, the extra drive to Alpharetta is worth it for all the reasons I stated before.

Wow, spot on there... I'm not sure if I should be impressed or a bit creeped out!

Like I said, the guy seemed nice enough and curt is the word I would use. That is interesting that they have been around for that long. I don't want to seem like I am bad-mouthing them cause I certainly respect that they have been there since the beginning and I don't doubt that some great brews come out of there. For me, the extra drive to Alpharetta is worth it for all the reasons I stated before.

Brasleton is not "the ATL." Heck, you're not even ITP :)

Many of us have thought about opening a LHBS. When I think about it (with nothing at stake, obviously), I think about the value that I would need to add to the products offered in order to succeed. Patient counsel to beginners. Depth of knowledge, advice and support to intermediate and advanced homebrewers. Genuine friendliness and respect. Classes. A really good grist to the oz, well-crushed. Networking opportunities (i.e. a sponsored club with monthly meetings). Running through all of these, a passion to share my passion for homebrewing with others of all skill and experience levels. For all of that, I'd feel okay about charging a bit more to pay my rent. Without it, I'd expect (and deserve) to fail.

i dont have any good lhbs that have an actual selection or are devoted to beer brewing. i do feel that midwest is my closet tanigle store option. so i dont feel bad buying from them online. they do actually have super helpful staff when i do go there. its nice.

My LHBS has a poor selection but good prices on what they do carry. They dont carry much for the AG'er, so all I get there any more is DME for my starters. But he does do special orders, so I do get my bulk base grains from him for $40. I get most of my supplies from midwest. I think their stuff is the freshest you can get because of the high amount of sales they have. I visited another HBS in another town 60 miles away once, their prices was way too high (70+ dollars for 50.lbs of 2 row!), and the liquid yeast they did have wasnt very fresh at all. For this I am all for shopping online. I believe midwest has the best model for HBS, they have a actual store, they sale online, they have the freshest ingredients, and their prices are within reason even with shipping. You just need to find a good place to find your base malts to buy in bulk, cause shipping on that is #$%@ing high.

My LHBS has a poor selection but good prices on what they do carry. They dont carry much for the AG'er, so all I get there any more is DME for my starters. But he does do special orders, so I do get my bulk base grains from him for $40. I get most of my supplies from midwest. I think their stuff is the freshest you can get because of the high amount of sales they have. I visited another HBS in another town 60 miles away once, their prices was way too high (70+ dollars for 50.lbs of 2 row!), and the liquid yeast they did have wasnt very fresh at all. For this I am all for shopping online. I believe midwest has the best model for HBS, they have a actual store, they sale online, they have the freshest ingredients, and their prices are within reason even with shipping. You just need to find a good place to find your base malts to buy in bulk, cause shipping on that is #$%@ing high.

If I had a brew store, I'd basically sell base malt at cost just to get them in the door, and make my money on the hops and yeast and specialty grains.

I would look to do sales online for increase sales for profit and a good turn over in product to have a fresh stock too. It would be nice if midwest would have franchises.

I would look to do sales online for increase sales for profit and a good turn over in product to have a fresh stock too. It would be nice if midwest would have franchises.

Alot of wholesalers won't let you, because it would be competition with their existing distributors.

Idk if I feel too bad. It cost me 70 bucks at the store and only 40 online. They charged $10 for a steeping bag. Besides, theyre brew is well known around here.

I buy strictly from my LHBS ( Homebrew Headquarters) in Richardson TX. They are nice, friendly, knowledgeable people who are always there to help. Their prices are good when you consider all the help they freely give. I consider it a great value to me.

my LHBS is KILLER!
not only are the prices at or below what i see online, but if i wanted to order from their online store they have next-day shipping anywhere in florida for five bucks!
also i can get there and back with about 20 minutes to spare on my lunch breaks

my LHBS is KILLER!
not only are the prices at or below what i see online, but if i wanted to order from their online store they have next-day shipping anywhere in florida for five bucks!
also i can get there and back with about 20 minutes to spare on my lunch breaks

Which place do you use? I come up to Melbourne now and then to visit some uncles.

I buy all my ingredients and yeast at my Lhbs,they sell in any increment,i also buy the smaller this and thats there too but when it comes to true hardware alot of it is just too expensive for my budget

One point the economist in me has to make: I don't see the need to support an outdated business model simply because the people running it are nice. A brick-and-mortar store has inherent limitations (mainly a higher overhead cost and a smaller customer base which means a smaller selection) that an online shop doesn't. That being said, a brick-and-mortar store can also have advantages over an online store (no shipping time or cost; personal interaction; fresher product, especially when it comes to yeast). It's up to the owner to maximize the advantages that make it worthwhile. If those advantages don't justify the added cost for you, then there's nothing to feel bad about.

well stated, and I couldn't agree more. :mug:

Wired Ranco controller $129.95
Reconditioned 5 gallon corny $99.99
2 row for $1.60 (not awful)
Wyeast 1056 for $7.75

Does this sound like a company that wants my business? They are very popular and they don't miss my business. I still fill my CO2 and buy an emergency hydrometer there, but my ingredients are always ordered, especially hops. I just plan ahead.

My 2 LHBS's are about 40 and 50 minutes away unless a traffic jam. So the gas it takes to get there is probably more than shipping charges.

They are both only open late afternoon Wed thru Fri and one is open Saturday and one is open both Saturday and half of Sunday.

It is hard for me to get there when they are open so I do a lot of online shopping.

Their prices are also high. The only thing I really go to them for is bulk grain. I plan to get in on a bulk buy when I can afford and arrange my pickup.

So I would like to shop locally more but it really doesn't make sense for me.

I have 2 LHBS in my area. The closer one is overpriced. At $3 an ounce on hops (all kinds), a pretty decent IPA is cost prohibitive to brew. The other shop is great on prices, but close to a 50 mile round trip, and when traffic is bad, it's BAD.

I have no problem supporting my LHBS ... It's minutes away from my house ... It also happens to be the Morebeer Los Altos showroom ... I'm spoiled :D

I have no problem supporting my LHBS ... It's minutes away from my house ... It also happens to be the Morebeer Los Altos showroom ... I'm spoiled :D

I also hit up the morebeer in concord for my bulk grain and specialty grains and what not. In the course of a month i usually visit three or four LBHS in the Bay Area. Living and commuting in CA has its upside.:mug:

My LHBS is awesome. Great prices and nice people. Most hops are $2 for 2oz. They do "virtual bags" of grain. You buy the bag and they create a ledger for you. When you get grains they just subtract it from your spreadsheet. I paid $29 for my 50lb bag of US Pale. Can do some cheap batches at those prices.

I have a LHBS less than 10 miles from my house.
I get everything online. The local shop is expensive and the few times I have gone in I get the "we can order it for you." line.

I can order it, at midnight, on a sunday, cheaper and have it in 3-4 days instead of 2 weeks when they make the regular order.

LHBS near me allows me to measure and crush my grain. Getting it a few dollars more expensive is definitely worth it.

On the last visit to my LHBS I was getting supplies and I ran a recipe by him and told him what i needed. After about 1 minute he looked at me an told me 'I have all this stuff to send out so what can I get you?'
1st I had already told him
2nd it seemed he preferred dealing online....
This had happened the time before aswell
I was spend around €50 each time
Now I look on line to see if prices are cheaper but I pass the store once a week so it's easier to call in but he needs to change is attitude very soon or I'll stop buying there

Back