Feedback on my hopbursted India red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts on my next brew, mostly trying to decide if I should add a 60 min addition

7lb 2 row
5.5 lb red x
.5 lb crystal 60*
2oz midnight wheat
6oz corn sugar (5 min boil)
Mash 152* 60 min

1 oz chinook (13%AA) 20 MIN
1 Oz simcoe 14.4% 15 min
1oz nelson Sauvin 11.4% 10min
1oz amarillo 8.9% 5 min
Then 1oz each flameout steep and 1oz ea dry hop

Est stats
1.063 OG
64 Ibu
16.2 Srm
6.2 abv.
Rogue pacman yeast

I'm thinking about adding a small amount of magnum at 60 for a small bump in Ibu
1/4 oz would add about 9 and 1/2 oz would add about 18ibu

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't do a 60 minute addition, I like what you've got. That flameout addition is going to get you some decent IBU, nothing to worry about there. Cheers!

Is there any way for a homebrewer to take a stab at guessing the Ibu contribution of a knockout hop steep?

I like the oz of amarillo at 5 min. Should be lots of hop 'flavor,' but not really 'bitterness' if that makes any sense. The best SMaSH beer I ever had was marris otter mashed high and Amarillo dosed similarly to bell's two hearted.

I'm going for all around flavor here. I want to get some good malt flavor from the red x and crystal malt, but I'm adding the sugar and using the highly attenuative PacMan yeast to keep it balanced. And i want to pull more hop flavor and aroma by using my favorite Ipa hops and lots of them. Should be brewing this one on Saturday.

Update on this one:
OG was 1.066
Fg is 1.010
Brewers friend puts that at 7.35% abv and 84% apparent attenuation
Just added 1oz ea of whole leaf simcoe and amarillo and 1oz ea pellet chinook and nelson Sauvin.

Hydro sample has me all tingly inside. I can't wait for this one to hurry up and finish. Perfectly dry with malt backbone, excellent hop flavor and bitterness.

1397423505556.jpg

Looks like a hum dinger, sometimes when the hydro sample tastes that good it makes the wait for the finished product virtually unbearable. I just dry hopped my racer 5 IPA clone this weekend so I'm right there with you. Can't wait for next weekend.

Looks like a hum dinger, sometimes when the hydro sample tastes that good it makes the wait for the finished product virtually unbearable. I just dry hopped my racer 5 IPA clone this weekend so I'm right there with you. Can't wait for next weekend.

I work so much that by tomorrow I'll forget about it. Next weekend I'll most likely cold crash until the following weekend and keg it. I'm already thinking about another hop burst Ipa now! Maybe a more session ale like Stone Go To hopburst Ipa.

Yeah I try to alternate big IPAs with seasonable hoppy pale ales. As much as I love a big hop bomb them they are expensive and require extreme self control at the kegerator so as not to become a drunk.

Yeah I try to alternate big IPAs with seasonable hoppy pale ales. As much as I love a big hop bomb them they are expensive and require extreme self control at the kegerator so as not to become a drunk.

Everything in this batch except the specialty grains I buy in bulk and that helps with cost. And I make a starter that is way bigger than I need. I pitch what I need and save the rest for future starters so I save on yeast too. I bought a pound of simcoe and nelson and half pound of chinook for way less than lhbs prices.

Back