Feedback on Imperial IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshtchuk

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Chinook/Cascade IPA and I'm looking to do an imperial version but want some feedback on the recipe (especially the hop schedule). I don't do a lot of really hoppy beers so I'm a little out of my element here. I'll be doing this as a BIAB recipe:

Batch Size (fermenter): 3.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated FG: 1.017 SG
Estimated Color: 11.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 75.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Mash for 75 min at 152F
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Yeast: 2.5 L starter of Wyeast 1272

Grain
7 lbs 8 oz Maris Otter 75.9%
12 oz Aromatic Malt 7.6%
12 oz Wheat Malt 7.6%
8 oz Crystal 20L 5.1%
6 oz Crystal 60L 3.8%

Hops
1.0 oz Chinook [13.00%] - Boil 90.0 Hop 51.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50%] - Boil 10.0 Hop 5.6 IBUs
0.5 oz Chinook [13.00%] - Boil 10.0 Hop 8.8 IBUs
1.0 oz Cascade [5.50%] - Boil 5.0 Hop 4.5 IBUs
0.5 oz Chinook [13.00%] - Boil 5.0 Hop 4.8 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50%] - Flame Out
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] - Dry Hop 10.0 days
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] - Dry Hop 10.0 days

Mash at 152 for 75 minutes
Dunk sparge in 170 degree water to make up boil volume

Hoping to ferment with Wyeast 1272 at about 65F (comments on this? I've never used this strain...)

Comments? Suggestions? Any are welcome...

Personally, I would cut the crystal malt down to half of what you have there and cut the aromatic out all together. I made an IPA with aromatic once and found that it trys to compete with the hops too much.

Also, I would add way more hops to your flameout addition...those delicious hop oils are volatile as **** and you don't want them all boiling away!

Personally, I would cut the crystal malt down to half of what you have there and cut the aromatic out all together. I made an IPA with aromatic once and found that it trys to compete with the hops too much.

Also, I would add way more hops to your flameout addition...those delicious hop oils are volatile as **** and you don't want them all boiling away!

Whoa, why am I being sensored? Damn the Man!

Thanks! I changed the recipe with an addition of centennial at 90 minutes and a lowered the bittering addition of chinook. That brought my IBUs up to a little over 80 -- I'm not really interested in a beer that's insanely bitter, just good and hoppy. I also moved all the flavour additions 5 minutes closer to flameout and added more chinook at flameout along with some more cascade. I'll add a bit of centennial to the dry hop as well. Crystal is cut in half and i reduced the aromatic. I kept a bit because I liked it in my last IPA.

Anyone else?

Back