Feedback on Chocolate Coffee Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucrebrew

Reaction score
Looking for some comments on this Chocolate Coffee Stout recipe I threw together. I live overseas, so I'm somewhat limited with grains (I can only get Pilsner malt, anything else I have to import).

9.25 Lbs Pilsner Malt
1.50 Lbs Quick Oats
0.75 Lbs Crystal 60
1.00 Lbs Chocolate Malt

Mash for 90 Minutes @ 154F.

75 Minute Boil

1 oz Tettnang @ 60 Min
1 oz Tettnang @ 30 Min
Irish Moss @ 15 Min
0.25 oz Crystal @ 5 Min
1.00 lb Lactose @ 5 Min

1 Vanilla Bean in Secondary for 2 weeks
8 oz Chocolate Nibs in Secondary for 2 weeks
20 oz Brewed Coffee in Bottling Bucket @ Bottling

Assuming 5-6 gallons:
Looks pretty good, though I would use some roastier base malt, like pale or Marris Otter. I think roasted barley can help with the coffee flavors too, but its personal choice. Coffee has a roasted flavor, so does roasted barley.

I'm not certain the purpose of the Crystal malt at the end of boil.. you may want to put this in the mash in case it just adds unneeded haze and little fermentables... boiling malt isn't generally the best way to utilize it, you wanna steep or mash. Just my opinnion I could be wrong.

I like your flavoring choices though, I am conditioning a stout of my own on 4 oz of cocoa nibs starting last night. Good idea on the vanilla bean, I heard its a good way to fill in the flavor profile around the chocolate flavor.
As hop flavor/aroma is not really required for this style, your extended boil may not really be required unless you wanted the Tettnang to emerge a bit. This is an oppinion thing depending how you like yours though.
I would go with the Notty or S-04 for the fuller flavor profiles.

Finally, what is your purpose in the Irish moss? In a stout the benefits may be reduced by the color.

I'm not certain the purpose of the Crystal malt at the end of boil.. you may want to put this in the mash in case it just adds unneeded haze and little fermentables... boiling malt isn't generally the best way to utilize it, you wanna steep or mash. Just my opinnion I could be wrong.

I like your flavoring choices though, I am conditioning a stout of my own on 4 oz of cocoa nibs starting last night. Good idea on the vanilla bean, I heard its a good way to fill in the flavor profile around the chocolate flavor.
As hop flavor/aroma is not really required for this style, your extended boil may not really be required unless you wanted the Tettnang to emerge a bit. This is an oppinion thing depending how you like yours though.
I would go with the Notty or S-04 for the fuller flavor profiles.

Finally, what is your purpose in the Irish moss? In a stout the benefits may be reduced by the color.[/QUOTE]

Firstly, thanks for the feedback. The crystal at the end of the boil is actually crystal hops... I had some on hand, but I have never actually tried them.

The Irish moss was mainly just habit, but I agree, it might not be of much value. I see you are using only 4 oz of nibs in yours. Have you brewed this before? If so, how did it turn out as far as the chocolate flavor? Do you think 8 oz would be too much?

I have brewed a standard stout before, but not with chocolate or coffee, so I'm a little uncertain on the amounts of those. I want the favors to be noticeable, but not overpowering.

Well I used the 4oz because thats the size they were selling and I wasn't sure I needed to go overboard.. I had enough chocolate malts in my recipe. I will let you know how that turns out. I've heard alot of people using 4oz... thats another reason why I started there. My first time nibbing so we will see how it goes.

Your recipe should turn out alright. As I said, I find it a bit unusual that there is Pilsner malt but whatever, its an experiment!

Unfortunately, the Pilsner malt is my only option. Surprisingly, the IPA's and another standard stout I brewed all came out fine with it.

Back