Feedback on an APA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpolzin25

Reaction score
Looking to brew an APA and only recently really started to drink APAs so a little interested in some feedback on the following recipe. Also wondering if using El Dorado and Azzaca hops would play nice together. Always open to suggestions. Looking for that fruity hop flavor punch w/o much bitterness.

Mash 150F
Grains:
10 lbs 2 row
1/2 lb CaraCrystal Wheat
1/2 lb CaraVienne

Hops:
0.5 oz El Dorado @ 15 minutes
0.5 oz Azzaca @ 15 minutes
0.5 oz El Dorado @ 10 minutes
0.5 oz Azzaca @ 10 minutes

Yeast:
US-05 @ 68F

Efficiency 75% predicted
Expected OG: 1.054
Expected FG: 1.009
Expected ABV: 5.87%
IBUS: shooting for 35-40 range

Also, do I really need to do a 60 minute boil w/ all the late hop additions if I account for a smaller boil amount, maybe a 30 minute boil?

For anyone wondering water I planning on taking RO water and adding gypsum/CaCl to get about 73 mg/L Ca, 80 mg/L Cl, and 65 mg/L SO4.

Any thoughts are much appreciated since this would be my first shot at brewing an APA.

Love me a good APA! Can't comment on the El Dorado and Azzaca, haven't used them. I do wonder about your hop schedule though - have you plugged in the numbers to see if you get around 35 IBUs? A few years ago, an APA I brewed won a gold medal at the Chicago Winterbrew competition, and I did a 60 minute addition and then nothing until 10 minutes, when I started throwing the hops at it. http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Nelson-Sauvin-Pale-Ale.html

With your grain bill, you should be fine with a 30 minute boil - DMS shouldn't be a problem. A good strong, long boil does aid in clarity and haze stability, according to Charles Bamford, though.

Ibus won't be a problem. I haven't bought the hops yet so once I find out the alpha acid content I can play around more and add bittering hops if need be.

I would keep the 60 min boil. You'll need the book to also drive off DMS and stuff like that if you're doing all grain

el dorado and azacca will go nice together. if you really want a nice aroma/flavor you might want to consider a whirlpool/steep @170', 1oz of each for 20-30 min and also a dry hop 1oz of each, 4-5 days before packaging

Since I did not know your hop AA, i used the default, also did not know your boil and batch size.

apa.png

I would keep the 60 min boil. You'll need the book to also drive off DMS and stuff like that if you're doing all grain

Is dms really that big of an issue considering there is no pilsner malt? I mean brulosophy did their experiment and saw no flavor difference with best malz pilsner malt boiled for only 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back