Feedback Needed on NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugustWest

Reaction score
I am looking for some feedback on the recipe below. Since I am going to try oat malt this time, I am wondering if I should just lose the flaked oats and bump up the base grains. I have 2 oz. each of YVH regular and Lupomax mosaic, citra and azacca. Given that I have Lupomax on hand and this is a small batch, I am wondering if just roll with all Lupomax since it is about 30% more potent than standard T-90 pellets?

Batch Size: 2.5 G (fermenter)
OG: 1.069
FG: 1.016
Target ABV: 6.9%
IBU's: Brewer's Friend - 52 (15 from the 60 min. addition)

Mash 152 - 75 min.

36% 2 Row
36% Golden Promise
10% White Wheat
10% Oat Malt
10% Flaked Oats
3% Carafoam

.125 oz. Warrior (16% AA) @ 60 min.

.75 oz. Citra Lupomax ((18% AA) WP @170 (30 min)
.75 oz. Mosaic Lupomax (18% AA) WP @170 (30 min)
.75 oz. Azacca Lupomax (16.5% AA) @170 (30 min)

Dry Hop - 3 days at tail end of fermentation
1oz. Citra Lupomax ((18% AA)
1 oz. Mosaic Lupomax (18% AA)
1 oz. Azacca Lupomax (16.5% AA)

Yeast A24 Dry Hop

I see nothing wrong with your recipe or your plan. I would do a few things differently, though. I would drop the flaked oats and up the wheat to achieve the same OG, as you mentioned. Or accept a lower OG and abv (I prefer less abv). I also prefer more wheat than oats lately.

The active fermentation dry hop is fine if you have no way to mitigate O2 exposure. Most of us have gone to soft crashing for a day or two, dry hopping at soft crash temp (50, for me), then cold crashing for two days before closed transfer kegging. Even at those temps I get great hop expression.

And I agree with going all Lupomax..I've been impressed with the Mosaic, Sabro, and Citra versions. I have not tried the Azacca...

@RCope are you purging after you DH? I have been DH'ing at 48-60 hrs into fermentation, but have been doing that b/c I don't have a way to ferment under pressure/ purge my Anvil fermenter.

I put a 1.5" TC bulkhead in my SS Brewbucket lids to allow me to stream CO2 through the airlock while I dry hop through the bulkhead. That way there's positive CO2 pressure out and I don't have to open the lid. I used to open the lid and purge but that still allowed a lot of potential O2 contact.

So, without a technique to minimize the O2, I think your late fermentation dry hop is a good option. Cheers! Rick

My system is even more low tech. First off, I still bottle (tiny house, no room for gear) but I have great success all things considered just by priming directly to the bottle and leaving no head space. I have bottles that are 2 months old and look just as good as they did they were packaged. So with respect to O2 control, I am concerned about the temp drop sucking oxygen in so hedge and don't cold crash. The Speidel ferementors have a giant one way air lock which in theory would limit O2 but you still need to open the top to dump the hops. I haven't attempted the magnet/dental floss trick yet. Maybe just flushing the headspace after dumping the hops helps though.

Latest posts

Back