Feedback needed on a Belgian Dubbel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derousse

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew my first Belgian-style dubbel and would welcome any feedback on the following 5-gallon AG recipe:

5 lbs Pale Malt
5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.5 lbs Caramunich
.75 lbs Special B
1 lb Dark Candi Sugar
.75 oz Styrian Goldings at 60 min
.75 oz Styrian Goldings at 30 min
.5 oz Styrian Goldings at 5 min

Single infusion mash at 152F for 60 min with batch sparge.
White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale in a 1L starter.

I'm not sure if the small local HB shop I frequent will have the Styrian Goldings hops. If not, what could I use that would be more readily available?

Looks good to me..stryian goldings is a pretty common hop so they will probably have it ...now saying that

I've had Dubbel that has medaled where I used Phoenix Hops

Thanks for the vote of confidence. And since I don't have any experience using sugar, am I correct in assuming that it should go in at the start of the boil?

Pretty much any English or Noble hop will do. You are not using a lot of it. Willamette, or any of the Goldings.

That's a lot of crystal malts (2.25 lbs), I'd probably use closer to 1 lb. You want this to end low (low FG that is). And you might want to mash lower too.

Sugar doesn't need to be in the boil to extract anything. Add it late, add it at flame out, or add it during fermentation.

Looking at my notes, it looks like my Chimay Clone used Liberty hops, 1 lb of Crystal (mix of Caramunich, C120 and Special B) in 7 gallons, and 2.25 lbs of home made amber candi syrup. The yeast took it from 1.065 to 1.010.

After considering the feedback received here, doing a little more research, and checking my leftover hop inventory, I've adjusted my recipe to the following:

5 lbs Pale Malt
5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.5 lbs Caramunich
.5 lbs Special B
1 lb Dark Candi Sugar (D-180 if I can find it)
.75 oz Styrian Goldings at 60 min
.25 oz Willamette at 60 min
.5 oz Fuggles at 30 min
.25 oz Styrian Goldings at 30 min
.5 oz Fuggles at 5 min

Single infusion mash at 148F for 75 min with batch sparge.
White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale in a 1L starter.
Ferment for 4 days at around 60F, followed by 10 additional days at 70F.

BeerSmith estimates the following measurements:
SG: 1.069
FG: 1.011
IBUs: 25.7
SRM: 27.7
ABV: 7.7%

Any additional feedback is welcome.

Back