Feeble boil and off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadConPana

Reaction score
Sometimes the best lessons can come from messing up a batch.

I did a brown ale that's just not that tasty. Can't, however, put my finger on exactly what the off flavor is. However, I vaguely remember reading about a chemical that is produced when the wort reaches a certain temperature and released in the bubbles from a vigorous boil.

Well, I was having trouble with my burner that day, and never got much beyond a good simmer. Any ideas what I might have been reading about and what kind of off flavors it would produce?

Would love to know where I screwed up.

Sounds like you may be thinking about DMS.
DMS shouldn't really be much of an issue these days, even with Pilsner malt, which was always known for it. It is suppised to smell.taste like cooked corn.
And a simmer isn't necessarily a bad thing either, unless you are getting things like DMS.
I'd look elsewhere for the problem. Maybe your water chemistry or pH isn't good for that style?

The mind is a powerful thing.

I remember a study where people were asked to identify which of two samples had a stronger strawberry flavor. Some said "A". Some said "B". Nobody noticed they were tasting identical cups of chocolate milk.

Is the off flavor "corny"? Maybe it is, or maybe my mind wants it to be.

Either way, thanks for your quick response.

Can you post your recipe?

Do you know your water chemistry or pH?
If not, no worries - I've been brewing for 15+ years and just this week I'm finally getting around to having a water analysis done and getting a pH meter, so if your water normally produces good beer, I wouldn't worry about it (but I know some water may be better for some styles or or better for lighter or darker beers based on pH, etc.)

Back