Double IPA February Star's Delight - Northeast/Heady style DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaman05

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Conan
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
100+
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days 63 --> 70 F
Tasting Notes
Will report back. Aiming for Heady-type DIPA with a creamier mouthfeel from the oats.
Just finished brewing this up. I've been reading a lot of NE style IPA's and I wanted to try and brew one up. I haven't been able to try the likes of Trillium, Tree House, Hill Farmstead, etc. I've only had Heady from this area. Wanted to try and somehow achieve this famed mouthfeel from that area so I used a large percentage of flaked oats. Added 15g of gypsum to my already moderately hard Madison, Wisconsin water which brought my sulfate up to 220ish while keeping the chloride low. I know there is some consensus that suggests a high chloride to sulfate ratio for these IPA's, but that isn't thought to be the case with Heady. I want the hops to pop and I'm hoping the oats can still give me that mouthfeel without having to bump up the chloride. I also used lactic acid to get the pH to 5.2. Hoping to turn this around quick and tap in time for the Super Bowl on February 7th so I will definitely report back with how it turned out and post a pic or two.

Grain Bill:

80.4% Two Row (13.38 lb)
14.3% Flaked Oats (2.38 lb)
5.3% Turbinado Sugar (14 oz) added with 10 minutes left in boil

Hops:

*60 min = 3 oz Warrior

*Whirlpool/Hopstand = 2 oz Simcoe, 2 oz Nugget, 2 oz Galaxy, 1 oz Citra. Half of this mixture added at Flame Out. The temperature naturally dropped to 160 F in about 30-40 minutes and I added the last half of whirlpool hops and waited 30 more minutes before turning on the chiller.

*Dry Hop: 3 oz Simcoe, 2 oz Galaxy, 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Nugget, 1 oz Columbus in CO2 purged keg.

Well how do it turn out? Working on a Northeast style IPA recipe as I type. Did you get what you were hoping for? Any pictures you could post of the finished beer/tasting notes?

Cheers!

Looks awesome!! Thanks for the pic. I will post one as soon as my recipe and batch is all complete, hope it looks a lot like that!!

Awesome! Thanks! It looked like orange juice and didn't last long! Can you post your recipe?

Don't think I even mentioned it in the original post but the yeast was Conan. Omega labs DIPA yeast.

Awesome! Thanks! It looked like orange juice and didn't last long! Can you post your recipe?

Partial Mash, "Northeast" style IPA

6 row malt 1 Lb
flaked wheat .5 Lb
flaked oats .5 Lb
briess carapils 1 Lb
Light DME 1 Lbs
Light DME 5 Lbs

London Ale III (1318)

Water Profile RO water
Calcium Chloride 1 tsp Per 5 gallons of water
Gypsum 1/2 tsp Per 5 gallons of water

Fermcap 6 drops First thing (brew pot)
Light DME 1 Lbs Bring to boil
Amarillo .5 oz 45 mins
Simcoe .5 oz 35 mins
Amarillo .5 oz 30 mins
Light DME 5 Lbs 15 mins
Irish Moss 1 tsp. 10 mins
Yeast Nutrient .50 tsp 10 mins
Citra .5 oz 5 mins
Citra .5 oz Flameout
Amarillo .5 oz Flameout
Simcoe .5 oz Flameout

Primary 21 days
at day 13 add
.5 oz simcoe .5 citra
at day 17 add
.5 oz simcoe .5 citra .5 amarillo

Is this a 5 gal batch? You could (and should) go way heavier on the late and dry hops.

Ya it's a 5 gal. I know I was thinking the same thing after I made the recipe up, What do you think is more important dry hop or more flameout when it comes to this styles of brew?

I prefer to do equal amounts flame out and dry hops. However I feel the dry hops are most important so I would at least do 4 oz flame out and 5-6 oz dry hop

I prefer to do equal amounts flame out and dry hops. However I feel the dry hops are most important so I would at least do 4 oz flame out and 5-6 oz dry hop

The brew is only a week bottle conditioned, but wow am I happy with the results so far... I usually open one bottle a week in because they are always drinkable and I love to taste them as it develops. As far as color its exactly what i was going for, murky orange. Aroma is fantastic, like a melon grapefruit juice... Excited for this beer as it conditions. Thanks again for all the great info. cheers! and sorry for the sideways pic i couldn't get it to rotate!

IMG_0091.jpg

Back