Fear of ferm. explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoodweisen

Reaction score
i saw some posts of ppls blow ups (got me worried) i know best solution is a blow off tube but how about just covering your bucket with a bath towel wouldnt that keep it from blowing up the whole room the ceiling and walls or is there some serious presure going on?

Sanitized aluminum foil is probably better than a towel IMO, but a blow off tube is really a simple solution as long as you pre-plan and pick up the proper tubing. Otherwise, the foil idea works well and its cheap.

Okay, so have you ever tried to take the lid off your bucket? Hard right?

Fermentation can blow the bucket lid somewhere else in the room, spraying beer crud all over it.

Use a blow off tube. It doesn't hurt, it's not hard, and it takes the same time to do as an airlock. Use a piece of your siphon tube and stick that into the airlock hole, or into the grommet in your bucket and boom, you're good to go.

The blow-off tube is the best answer, but in a pinch you could just lay the lid on top of the bucket without pushing it down to seal. That will allow any excess pressure to escape, so you will not blow your lid. However, it will not prevent a krausen overfow from spilling down the sides of your bucket.

Back