Favorite/Worst Cheap Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite cheap beer? My homebrew. I‘ve saved enough over the years to pay for my ghetto quality brewery a couple of times over so I’m brewing for the price of ingredients. I can make a 4% Blonde Ale for about 20 bucks per 5 gallons. That’s 2 cases of beer that actually tastes good for less than a 30 pack of generic, light lager.

As far as cheap commercial beer goes, my favorite is probably Hamm’s. Twenty bucks for a case of 16s and it tastes pretty good. The worst? I dunno. They’re pretty much interchangeable, to me. Closer to faintly beer-flavored hard seltzer than than to beer.

1. Genesee Cream Ale (more nostalgia over taste). I'd have said their Bock but they don't make it anymore AFAIK.

Genesee still makes the Bock, but it's not distributed as widely as regular and Cream.
1629305107433.png

My favorite inexpensive beer is Genesee Ruby Red, a Kolsch with grapefruit. Super refreshing in the summer.
1629305027532.png

When I visit Genny country (family is in the Finger Lakes, near Rochester, NY), I stock up on the seasonals and limited releases, including Ruby Red in the summer, Bock in the Spring, 12 Horse Ale in the winter.

Regular Genesee is my go to inexpensive beer. I always bulk up the beer fridge with a 30-pack.

However, I'm not particularly fond of Genny Cream Ale.

Last edited:
When I visited friends in central Mexico, we drank cahuamas (40's) of Corona Familiar, and I don't recall seeing much of the American versions of Corona there. Familiar can be found in the states, and it's not too similar to the stuff in the clear bottles, so it can be a fun one to try. Imagine a 14 year old kid drinking one on a milk crate next to the cash register when you purchase for a full experience. It also makes very nice Micheladas.

I always giggled about how it was the "family" beer, good for the whole household. If you see something like "un lugar familiar" painted on the front of a hangout, it usually meant they tried to keep drugs and bad behavior out--it's a family place. So I find Corona Familiar to give me layers and layers of enjoyment.
My favorite was always Modelo Negra, though I'm tending these days toward lighter colored beers and lighter kilned malts. Dos Equis and Modelo brew solid beers (both founded by German emigrants), but Corona always seemed like too much corn in the grist and badly light-struck from the clear glass.

I don't live in the states now but when I did I liked Labatt blue, Corona (must have lime), and Old style.

Now I live in the Czech Republic where even a Pilsner Urquell is around $1 for a 1/2L bottle. But if you want to go even lower Kozel is amazing for about 50¢ and sometimes cheaper on sale.

I don't live in the states now but when I did I liked Labatt blue, Corona (must have lime), and Old style.

Now I live in the Czech Republic where even a Pilsner Urquell is around $1 for a 1/2L bottle. But if you want to go even lower Kozel is amazing for about 50¢ and sometimes cheaper on sale.

Five years ago my daughter and son-in-law were in Munich for Oktoberfest. They were turned off by the crowds and the chaos, so they hopped on a train to Prague, returning to Munich a week or so later to catch their flight home. They absolutely loved Prague.

I've never been to the Czech Republic but have been a frequent visitor to Munich, though never during Oktoberfest. If they were so impressed with Prague and disliked Munich so much (I really enjoyed Munich), then Prague really needs to get elevated on my Bucket List of places to see.

Five years ago my daughter and son-in-law were in Munich for Oktoberfest. They were turned off by the crowds and the chaos, so they hopped on a train to Prague, returning to Munich a week or so later to catch their flight home. They absolutely loved Prague.

I've never been to the Czech Republic but have been a frequent visitor to Munich, though never during Oktoberfest. If they were so impressed with Prague and disliked Munich so much (I really enjoyed Munich), then Prague really needs to get elevated on my Bucket List of places to see.
Prague is great. If you visit you won't regret it.

A cheap beer (if you are talking about cost) I buy all the time is Bitburger Pils - 4 pack tall boys $5.99. Solid German pils and easy on the wallet.

1) Natty Bo (National Bohemian) (nostalgia, even though the dominate box lacrosse team in my league was National Bohemian)
2) Corona (I've had many worse expensive beers, but this deliberate skunker is the worst of the cheap)

Genesee still makes the Bock, but it's not distributed as widely as regular and Cream.
View attachment 739482

My favorite inexpensive beer is Genesee Ruby Red, a Kolsch with grapefruit. Super refreshing in the summer.
View attachment 739481

When I visit Genny country (family is in the Finger Lakes, near Rochester, NY), I stock up on the seasonals and limited releases, including Ruby Red in the summer, Bock in the Spring, 12 Horse Ale in the winter.

Regular Genesee is my go to inexpensive beer. I always bulk up the beer fridge with a 30-pack.

However, I'm not particularly fond of Genny Cream Ale.
Those are all fantastic beers!

My favorite cheap beer is Miller Lite. I enjoy Heineken as well but can only have a few at a time. As close as I can get to a dislike is that I used to hate Yeungling but my tastes have changed and I enjoy it now. Other than that, I can’t think of one I wouldn’t drink if handed to me. I’ve had some terrible craft brews though.

There are better beers, and there are cheaper beers, but you'll never find a better cheap beer than Yuengling.

Though, I did go through a Molson Canadian phase when I was traveling to Toronto and Montreal a dozen times a year.

Also, when in Nashville a few years back, a bar owner I was talking with gave me a Schlitz. He insisted I try it, and refused to charge me - he just wanted me to have it to prove it wasn't as bad as I remembered. He was right - it was a totally drinkable and surprisingly enjoyable beer!

There are better beers, and there are cheaper beers, but you'll never find a better cheap beer than Yuengling.

Though, I did go through a Molson Canadian phase when I was traveling to Toronto and Montreal a dozen times a year.

Also, when in Nashville a few years back, a bar owner I was talking with gave me a Schlitz. He insisted I try it, and refused to charge me - he just wanted me to have it to prove it wasn't as bad as I remembered. He was right - it was a totally drinkable and surprisingly enjoyable beer!

The day I took my last undergrad final exam, I picked up a six pack of Schlitz to drink while I packed up my apartment. There was one left over and it got tossed in one of the pack-up boxes, and for years it got moved from place to place and always found a place of honor on my desk, because, as you've probably heard, "When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer!"

Or not.

I used to buy Milwaukee's Best in the summer and I put a shot of lemon concentrate in it. Wholly dependent on the lemon though.

Worst I ever had was Stag. Had a friend bring some to a fishing outing. I couldn't manage a second swallow of it.

Runners up for bad were overseas. Tusker (I think Thailand), Kloster (I think Kenya), and San Miguel (Philippines)

I used to buy Milwaukee's Best in the summer and I put a shot of lemon concentrate in it. Wholly dependent on the lemon though.

Worst I ever had was Stag. Had a friend bring some to a fishing outing. I couldn't manage a second swallow of it.

Runners up for bad were overseas. Tusker (I think Thailand), Kloster (I think Kenya), and San Miguel (Philippines)
Yeah, San Miguel. It seems to be brewed many places around the world. Used to drink it (under duress) in Spain and also the Philippines (under desperation). Same labels, same terrible headaches the day after consumption. Rumor had it that formaldehyde was added as a preservative, at least in the P.I. This was in the days before Internet, so it MUST be true.

Recently I got myself a case of Corona with a few limes. I regret nothing.

I’d buy Corona extra much more often- with a lime, hard to beat-
However, recently at a gas station near me it was priced at $10.99 +tax per 6er…
Down the road a piece I can get Terrapin’s Hopsicutioner for $8.99 +tax… per 6er!
I understand the whole import/export price hike, but for Corona?

As far a cheapies go, +2 for Rolling Rock, +1 because 30 racks are priced <$18 and +1 because bar bottles are <$3. And hell, it tastes like college to me!

As far as beers I wouldn’t drink even if it was the only thing keeping me from being Pontious in the “milking a horse” jacka** skit:
Icehouse and in the realm of non beer, MD20/20 🤢

Back in the late 80s and/or early 90s, there was a beer imported from (I think) Switzerland of all places, called Cardinal Amber Light. It was about $7 a case and quite palatable, particularly compared the the BMCs.

Another +1 for genesee cream ale, my grandfather loves it, dad loves it, I tolerate it, decent cheap beer imo and I get no adverse effects from it.

Extra gold lager is god awful if its still around, went to a "cheap beer party" when I was in my 20's woke up on my buddy's hardwood floor and my head hurt more then my back. Never drank it again.

speaking of that and "good" cheap beer, is Pete's Wicked Ale. or pete's still around? not sure if that was just a so.cal thing?

Pete's was available lots of places (maybe nationwide?). We had it in PA. I don't recall it being particularly cheap, but it (and other Pete's beers) were definitely a wakeup call to some friends and me about what domestic beer could be.

ETA: to answer the question, Pete's is defunct.

My worst list is pretty long, because a few of them are terrible to me, but a few I overdid at some weeklong festivals and just can't take them anymore. Miller lite is firmly in the first category for me. Just. Gross. And coors/keystone is in the latter.

As far as favorite? Schell's deer brand is a staple, and I think its pretty cheap. During some sketchy unemployment weeks back in my early 20s, I drank the hell out of steel reserve and I dont remember it being *that* bad?

Oh, reading through this thread brings back sooooo many cheap beer memories. First beer I was able to sneak from my parents fridge after a party they had was a can of Schaefer. First time I got drunk was drinking Genny Cream Ale with buddies before a HS dance my freshman year. In college I played rugby, so a good portion (just about all) of any money we had on hand went to buy beer. If we had extra $$$ we would be excited to buy Busch…. even Bud would be a luxury. Our favorite beer at the time, and even to this day is “free”. All jokes aside, usually we would be buying Hamms, Old Milwaukee, Keystone, Red White and Blue and recall Blatz a time or two.
Today favorite ”cheap” beer - Yuengling
Not so favorite “cheap” beer - Corona or Heineken never really liked either of them. But if they are “free”, the term ”like” becomes subjective….hahaha.

I don't recall it being particularly cheap, but it (and other Pete's beers) were definitely a wakeup call to some friends and me about what domestic beer could be.

it might have been a little more expensive then a 6er of Bud/Miller....but not by that much, then the micro's wanted to take everyones money, and now miller, bud are just saying well hell, if they'll pay them that much.....(rant over, or is it? lol :mug:)

that's just the best cheap beer i can remember.....

Another +1 for genesee cream ale, my grandfather loves it, dad loves it, I tolerate it, decent cheap beer imo and I get no adverse effects from it.

Extra gold lager is god awful if its still around, went to a "cheap beer party" when I was in my 20's woke up on my buddy's hardwood floor and my head hurt more then my back. Never drank it again.
20210819_181242.jpg

Agreed, Genny Cream is my favorite cheap beer. For me it sets the cream ale standard. I wish I could get it out west.

Worst beer? Anything I've tried from Budweiser. Never tasted right to me.

Wish I could find Genny Cream Ale. No luck unless I brew my own (which I do).

Years ago I tried the beer picked as #1 by "Consumer Reports". IMO, it was awful. I had awful stomach aches from drinking 1/2 glass. Unsure what/why caused. Thought the experience was a "one off" and tried the beer again a few months later. Same results.

Pete's was available lots of places (maybe nationwide?). We had it in PA. I don't recall it being particularly cheap, but it (and other Pete's beers) were definitely a wakeup call to some friends and me about what domestic beer could be.

ETA: to answer the question, Pete's is defunct.
Pete's was good. Too bad what happened to the company after Pete sold it.

Really? Never had a next day case of the Genny Splats? Or the Genny Screamers? There was a difference, though I won't go into it. ;)

Back