Favorite Podcasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexacuna

Reaction score
I generally listen to podcasts at work, lately basic brewing has been on regularly. I can burn through a few episodes per work day! Pretty into Serial and true crime. Any suggestions for other podcasts worth listening to?

If we're going for brewing related, all of the Brewing Network shows are interesting and some even have good info.

Non brewing related.

History on Fire and Hardcore History with Dan Carlin are really interesting to listen to if you like history and they try to stick to contemporary accounts of events to try and keep it legit. Always interesting stories you never learn about in history class. History on Fire is just slightly different than Dan Carlin's show, but very similar.

The Joe Rogan Experience is super interesting for a eclectic mix of discussion topics that range all over the place, and Joe Rogan is a super intense personality and he's unabashedly passionate about everything.

The Truth is a cool podcast where they do short stories with voice actors reading it, it's similar to old school radio dramas they played before TV. If you don't like short format podcast it's rough since most episodes aren't super long.

Star Talk Radio with Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a fun listen for science-y stuff. Lots of cool guests and Neil is just a cool ass dude.

Damn I listen to too many podcasts.

Star Talk is too great. I've been listening to Criminal today, but i think i'll be checking out the Joe Rogan Experience after work this evening while I bottle up some beer.

The Beerists.

Commerical beer review with plenty of crude, raunchy humor with lots of swearing.

They are pretty hilarious.

Undisclosed is excellent

Truth and justice with Bob ruff is pretty good too

Accidental Tech Podcast is good if you like technology stuff

The Jamil Show

Radiolab

Freakanomics, This American Life, Radiolab, Criminal, WTF/Marc Maron (depending on the guest), Basic Brewing Radio

If you are interested in finance, starting your own business etc Radical Personal Finance is an amazing podcast. Some of the topics can run long, but Joshua provides more detail and helpful info then any other person in the industry

The podcast rebroadcast of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! is hilarious. I save up a bunch of episodes for long car trips.

I haven't checked out any brewing-related podcasts, yet.

But otherwise:
  • Doug Loves Movies
  • Sklarbro Country/County
  • How Did This Get Made
  • Hardcore History
  • Stuff You Should Know
  • Stuff to Blow Your Mind
  • This American Life
  • Radiolab
  • The Moth
  • The Competitive Erotic Fan Fiction Podcast
  • Nerdist
  • The Dead Author's Podcast
  • Spontaneanation
  • The Cracked Podcast
  • Stuff You Missed in History Class
  • The Trail Show
  • The Slate Political Gabfest
  • Freakonomics Radio

4 Brewers is great, and Adam Carolla is funny. I like the Adam Carolla show a lot because there is a new one every day and they are at least an hour long.

Undisclosed is excellent

Truth and justice with Bob ruff is pretty good too

Accidental Tech Podcast is good if you like technology stuff

The Jamil Show

Radiolab

I liked undisclosed. I listened to Ruff until he switched topics.

I've enjoyed Basic Brewing Radio, Brewsmith, Experimental Brewing. James Spencer at Basic Brewing does a great job of interesting topics and keeping it clean enough to play in the car with kids. Plus there are weekly shows from the past 10 years.

Cabin Pressure is a great BBC comedy starring Benedict Cumberbatch and a few others. Should be free to download if you can find it.

I think it's very funny. Too bad they ended the thing already. I think BC has decided to move onto projects that pay a little more (Sherlock, Star Trek, The Hobbit, etc...)

I'll add a vote to Freakonomics and This American Life. Surprised the other two I like haven't come up:
-Nerds on History
A fun presentation of subjects that didn't quite make you school books.
-Grownups Read Things They Wrote as Kids
The title says it all.

I don't think I've seen anyone post 99% invisible yet, slowly becoming my favorite podcast. The episodes are shorter (20-30 mins) but there are lots of them and they do ALL the commercials at the end after the show itself, which is great. They talk a lot about design and why the way things are of all sorts of things you've probably never heard of. Really good one that was only 15 mins, "worst smell in the world". If you like Stuff You Should Know, you will like 99% Invisible

If we're going for brewing related, all of the Brewing Network shows are interesting and some even have good info.

Non brewing related.

History on Fire and Hardcore History with Dan Carlin are really interesting to listen to if you like history and they try to stick to contemporary accounts of events to try and keep it legit. Always interesting stories you never learn about in history class. History on Fire is just slightly different than Dan Carlin's show, but very similar.

The Joe Rogan Experience is super interesting for a eclectic mix of discussion topics that range all over the place, and Joe Rogan is a super intense personality and he's unabashedly passionate about everything.

The Truth is a cool podcast where they do short stories with voice actors reading it, it's similar to old school radio dramas they played before TV. If you don't like short format podcast it's rough since most episodes aren't super long.

Star Talk Radio with Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a fun listen for science-y stuff. Lots of cool guests and Neil is just a cool ass dude.

Damn I listen to too many podcasts.

Those two are in my regular rotation. Dan is the man.

I'll add Dan's Common Sense for commentary on current events. Also, if you want completely random stories that are often amazing, Snap Judgement. Each episode is comprised of 3 short true stories, usually read by their author. There's a billion episodes, so if you end up liking it you will probably never run out of content.

I listen to the Free Beer and Hot Wings radio show every morning. They're on FM in like 40 markets, but I podcast because I hate waiting through the commercials. The show is brilliant. It's like a radio version of a mix of Tosh.0, Howard Stern, and Jackass.

Unfortunately one of the main hosts of the show was fired/quit last week, so I don't know how well the show will do as they continue forward...

Back