Favorite Northern Brewer recipe kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nl724

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have brewed a couple northern brewer recipe kits and have liked them so far. I like the milk chocolate stout kit and the Dead Ringer IPA. Both were excellent. The Dead Ringer is well balanced and not too hoppy for an IPA...I just love the hop flavor. The milk stout kit is tasty, but I would like it to be a little more chocolaty.

What are your favorites? Which ones should we avoid?

I have brewed several kits from NB. I have really enjoyed all and wouldn't say to avoid any of them.

Brewed so far:
Caribou Slobber
La Petite Orange (this one is really good after you let it age, will def be buying again)
Oatmeal Stout (PM kit)
Chinook IPA
Honey Brown Ale (this one didn't stay around as long as I'd have liked it too)
White House Honey Porter (another one that gets really good with age, will def be buying again)

Also bought one of the Limited Edition:Dundalk kits, but I just brewed it last weekend so I'll let you know how that one is.

I did the rye pale ale extract kit. It tasted good but was thin and watery for my tastes. Since then I have avoided anything less than OG 1.050. The extra pale ale kit was alright, not great. The brown ale was good, just kind of plain. My favs were the dead ringer and the Surly cynic.

Looked back through my notes in 2011 when I was doing kits. Ranked in order from favorite to least favorite. Liked 'em all except the raspberry wheat. Too much raspberry for my taste, even the wife thought so.

I highly recommend the St Paul Porter if you haven't tried it yet. I have an all grain variation of it in my primary right now. Used lots of homegrown cascade leaf hops at flameout, and added unsweetend cocoa (6 oz) also at flameout. Very chocolately now, but hope it didn't add too much harshness that would need age to balance.

-DeadRinger IPA
-St Paul Porter (cascade citrus flavor with chocolate roast, yummy!)
-Kolsch
-Carmelite Triple
-Patersbier
-Raspberry Wheat

Tallgrass buffalo sweat stout (my favorite stout, period, although I never had the commercial product)
Caribou slobber
Karl's 90 schilling scottish

These are my top 3 nb kits

I just did the all grain version of caribou slobber from northern brewer and it is hands down the best brown I have ever tasted. I will have this in my regular rotation from now on. Absolutely amazing beer.

i've only done one, surly bender (oatmeal brown) pm kit, fantastic -- quickly drank

Back