Favorite Malt Liquor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I'm drinking some hurricane that someone gave me, and I'm honestly pleasantly surprised. I need to get a clone recipe. It made me wonder what your go to malt liquor is, or was. I used to be a bit time Mickeys guy, but this might be my new go to cheap stuff from time to time.

Does anyone have a good malt liquor recipe? I guess it's almost hard to justify since you can make better stuff for about the same price really, huh? Still curious though. 2 row and corn syrup?

I'm drinking some hurricane that someone gave me, and I'm honestly pleasantly surprised. I need to get a clone recipe. It made me wonder what your go to malt liquor is, or was. I used to be a bit time Mickeys guy, but this might be my new go to cheap stuff from time to time.
I've had some of that, not the worst fluid I have ingested. I'll grab a couple 24oz's of Steel Reserve from time to time, it's about the same gut-rot kind of stuff. Good buzz-for-the -buck, drink-it-before-it gets-warm "beer".
I'm going to order a couple of these next time I order supplies. Price is right for what you get. I figure add a pound of say 10L crystal or something to steep for some flavor/body and see what happens. If I use some dry Voss Kveik yeast I could have about the same thing in short order. Boil to glass in a couple of weeks I'm thinking. I'm sure it won't be award winning but it will still be 8% beer. :cask:
Cheers,
Joel B.

Man, I used to get down on some Old English. I prefer Mickeys (how can you not, they have a riddle/puzzle under the cap!) but at the time when I was drinking the stuff I had to have people buy it for me and my go to guy would always just get me what he was drinking.

I like that "Imperial Cream Ale", perfect.
Yeah, I am going to order a couple of those and see. I'm still thinking they will need something for body, not just sure what yet. Now I leaning towards a pound or so of 80L crystal, maybe carared, thinking that because of color. My memory of Old English 800 had a bit of reddish/gold tint, then again OE 800 might have removed some of my memory (LOL).
Still going to use Kveik, no need to wait too long and/or baby-sit temp wise, something that's just a buzz source. I'm enjoying a 6% dunkel wisse that I had to baby sit, temp wise. It turned out great,, but well,, it was a goal of a different sort.
Every body has a reason for making what they do, I don't strive so much to match a style or a "clone". Sure, I'm a say, wheat beer fan but I still want it to taste how "I" want it to, not judged by others idea of what it "should" taste like.
What really puts sand in my crack is some people will bastardize a style with 3 lb. of hops, some obscure fruit or some other addition and say it's the "bomb". Then they turn around and blast those of us that want to to make a beer that's just a high ABV of the most widely sold style in the world. Don't get it.
Yeah, been drinking,, (carefully steps off soap box) :bott:
Brew on,
Joel B.

I get it. I do like lots of hops sometimes and fruits and weird fruits and whatever else, but I'm not that picky about staying to style. I just brew what I feel like.

Hey, you like what you like, I like what I like, that's what keeps up brewing. I am the opposite of a hop head, (a malt melon? (LOL)). But it's all good. Yeah I can drink a hoppy beer but I'm sure not going to brew one on purpose. It's just beer for shxx sake. :rock:

Joel B.

lol, before i found out how to dry more malt at a time....i'd make a brew with 8lb's pale malt, 5lb's white flour, and sugar to make it 1.060....add gluco to get it dry and call it malt liquor, because i'd only add an ounce of hops to a 10 gallon batch......

edit: and i drank it for 2 years! and liked it! lol

for as many posts as i've made on this, and only, forum...i'm surprised i'm that well known.....lol, and if you plan on making a malt liquor....i just posted in another thread, for a groove to listen to... ;)

man, i hesitated....we'll just say :mug:

I think the only real issue I've had with malt liquor is the inconsistency from bottle to bottle. Has anyone else ever notice that? Sometimes they are just a high gravity maltyish beer and easy to drink, and other times they're skunked or taste like liquid pennies, but when you get a good one, they usually hit the spot.

I think the only real issue I've had with malt liquor is the inconsistency from bottle to bottle. Has anyone else ever notice that? Sometimes they are just a high gravity maltyish beer and easy to drink, and other times they're skunked or taste like liquid pennies, but when you get a good one, they usually hit the spot.
That's an interesting observation!

Occasionally we buy a 40 (a plastic 42 now) of Steel Reserve... Last week my wife poured me a glass, me not knowing what it was. First impression of aroma and flavor was reminiscent of a Belgian Golden Ale, just much, much sweeter, lacking complexity, but definitely clovey. Up to that point it could very well have been some Belgian, until... it left that unique malt liquor flavor on my tongue. Ah!

I don't remember it ever tasting that clovey or could be mistaken (even for 20 seconds) for something Belgian. :bott:

I've just had SR in cans, 12oz's and 24oz's. I have had many other beers that I'd pass over to get to a SR. Any thing "light or lite" stands out first. I've never had a Belgian style so I can't compare to one but I think that SR does have a clean taste,,,(hehe) maybe not the "best" taste, but clean.
I know some people don't like "red" or tomato beers but SR works real well for those IMO. (better yet, "Clamato")

Joel B.

I am not a fan of the malt liquor, but I had an old coworker, a real connoisseur, that would about how much he drank the stuff but couldnt name a single ipa. He told me once that big breweries take the residual sugars from their boil kettles, add water and hops to create malt liquor. If I were making malt liquor, I would get about 8 lbs of light dme and 2 lbs of corn sugar in one gal of water and boil for 15 min to caramelize the sugar. Then either do a add another gal and do a partial boil to develop more malt flavor or boil 5.5 gal for 30 min with maybe .5 oz magnum. Cool and ferment clean and quick with amercan lager or Charlie's fist bump. A simple recipe but malt liquor isnt supposed to be fancy. Just alcohol.

Hahaha , I was always told years ago that's how they made "Bock" beer. They only did that once a year and that's why it was "seasonal". :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Joel B.
Heard similar stories in the late 70's. Used to hear they clean the vats in the Spring and the dark residue was used to make Bock beer!

Back