Favorite Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merz69

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s top 3 favorite commercial beers ?
1) Dead Guy Ale
2) Magic Hat #9
3) Gumballhead

This is a really loaded question, haha.

I'd go in as "stuff I buy a lot".

Start off with, 90% of the time, I drink my homebrew. Other than that, in no particular order...

1. Bells 2 Hearted
2. Miller High Life
3. Fat Heads Headhunter

How commercial are we talking? Available Nationwide?

Long Trail Ale
Tree House Haze
Other Half Dream Club

Many many more could crack the top 3 depending on my mood and season...

As said earlier, stuff I buy:
- I keep Miller High Life on hand year round
- I buy Landshark more in the summer
- Winter time I buy stronger and darker beers like Guinness or Backwoods Bastard

Hard to say “favorite”.

Blanche de Chambly - Unibroue
Lagered Ale - Beau's
L'autentica - Birra Moretti
I haven’t had any Unibroue beers for a long time. If you like their beers, Wyeast has their yeast. 3864. Canadian/Belgian ale yeast. Gee, where could that be from? I’m not sure if its available year round or if its one of their PC Private Collection limited strains now.

Top 3:
1. Troegs Nugget Nectar, Hershey, PA
2. Surly Furious, Minneapolis, MN
3. SN Celebration Ale, Chico/Asheville

Honorable mention:
- Troegs Hopback Amber Ale, Hershey, PA
- Bells Two Hearted Ale, Comstock, MI
- East End Big Hop, Pittsburgh, PA

Just for fun:
- Fulton Chain Go Fluff Yourself, Old Forge, NY
- Urban Growler Sugar Cookie Double Cream Ale, St. Paul, MN
- O'Fallon Knotty Pretzel Beer, St. Louis, MO

I live in Austin so these are all locals:

512 Pecan Porter
Pinthouse Pizza Electric Jellyfish IPA
Real Ale Fireman's 4 Blonde Ale

Top 3:

Honorable mention:

Just for fun:
What!?! No Troeg's Perpetual IPA?

Nugget Nectar used to be my favorite, but being seasonal it always seemed to be 'here, then gone'. I got in the groove of making Perpetual my go-to, and now prefer it to Nugget.

Really like their beers. Great brewery and excellent tour as well if you're ever in Hershey, PA. The fact that they're 'Proudly Still Independent' is a major plus for me as well.

Nugget Nectar used to be my favorite, but being seasonal it always seemed to be 'here, then gone'. I got in the groove of making Perpetual my go-to, and now prefer it to Nugget.

Same here but it's changed dramatically from the original...something went screwy with either the hop schedule or grain bill in 2012-2013 and it was never the same!

I tend to drink uber local, but I am finding Capt Lawrence really good right now and all over Orlando.

German lagers are awesome pool beers.

1. Cigar City Jai Alai (all purpose beer)
2. Captain Lawrence Citra Dreams (golf beer)
3. DAB (summer time pool beer)

Same here but it's changed dramatically from the original...something went screwy with either the hop schedule or grain bill in 2012-2013 and it was never the same!
I tend to drink uber local, but I am finding Capt Lawrence really good right now and all over Orlando.

German lagers are awesome pool beers.

1. Cigar City Jai Alai (all purpose beer)
2. Captain Lawrence Citra Dreams (golf beer)
3. DAB (summer time pool beer)

Yeah, CC Jai Alai is a really nice IPA. Also great brewery tour. Have you tried CC Jai Low? 4.5% session beer that tastes almost identical to Jai Alai.

1- Heady Topper (The Alchemist) - Whatever you can say, nobody can nail hop taste like this one. It's clean and you can actually taste every hop.
2- Chaman (Dieu du ciel!) - An very unusual style (Imperial Pale Ale loaded with Sterling) but one of a kind beer. Way better on tap and every batch differs, but....oh it's so good!
3- A very old SLAAPMUTSKE TRIPEL (Brasserie De Proefbrouwerij) - I don't know why, but I like old tripels and this one is a winner after a year or two.

Oh wait, I just figured out it's best commercial beer. Nevermind. Too much homebrew!

What!?! No Troeg's Perpetual IPA?

Really like their beers. Great brewery and excellent tour as well if you're ever in Hershey, PA. The fact that they're 'Proudly Still Independent' is a major plus for me as well.
Ha ha … yeah, I like Perpetual - it‘s a well-made beer - but it didn’t crack the top 3 for me. :cool: Maybe because it has citra, and I have an aversion to that hop. Or maybe it’s because Nectar is only available Jan-Feb and it leaves me wanting more, like George Costanza.

Fun fact - Chris and John are Cumberland Valley grads, a few years after me, though I never met them. My brother did, back when their brewery was in Harrisburg. Have to admire how they’ve grown their business from those humble beginnings.

Last edited:
Ha ha … yeah, I like Perpetual - it‘s a well-made beer - but it didn’t crack the top 3 for me. :cool: Maybe because it has citra, and I have an aversion to that hop. Or maybe it’s because Nectar is only available Jan-Feb and it leaves me wanting more, like George Costanza.

Fun fact - Chris and John are Cumberland Valley grads, a few years after me, though I never met them. My brother did, back when their brewery was in Harrisburg. Have to admire how they’ve grown their business from those humble beginnings.
Agree. Their story is neat, just like the brewery vibe, and of course the beer. You sound like local PA. Whereabouts?

Grew up in Hampden Township, went to CV, then Shippensburg U., then lived in Chambersburg for way too long. Now in Pittsburgh. You?
Grew up in KC (go Chiefs), U. of Kansas (go Jayhawks, who actually suck much worse than the Chiefs this year), Navy 20+ years, then commercial aerospace industry and retirement in Maryland, between Frederick and Hagerstown.

Yeah, CC Jai Alai is a really nice IPA. Also great brewery tour. Have you tried CC Jai Low? 4.5% session beer that tastes almost identical to Jai Alai.
The Jai Low is awesome as well, as is all of the core CCB beers. I have been lucky, I met those guys just as they were opening the brewery and have seen them grow exponentially over the years. It is a must stop any time you are in Tampa.

Top 3:

Honorable mention:

Just for fun:
Two Thumbs up for the Nugget Nectar; a mighty fine beer - Troegs location in Hershey is excellent. Still have family in Harrisburg and go there several times a year, so I’ve been there a lot. I remember when Chris and John first started with their small facility in run down industrial area on Herr Street by the 83 bypass. Good times 🥴

If I’m not flying to Hbg. I’ve called brewery when NN is released and had them put aside a case for me.

Cheers 🍻

The Jai Low is awesome as well, as is all of the core CCB beers. I have been lucky, I met those guys just as they were opening the brewery and have seen them grow exponentially over the years. It is a must stop any time you are in Tampa.
Presenty in Florida, visiting our daughter in St. Pete. Today (Saturday) is "Beers by the Pier" with 20 micros in Pinellas County pouring. Unfortunately CCB is on the other side of the Bay, but Big Storm, 3 Daughters, Green Bench and a bunch of others are. SIL and I are heading out, probably for the 1pm-4pm session.

Presenty in Florida, visiting our daughter in St. Pete. Today (Saturday) is "Beers by the Pier" with 20 micros in Pinellas County pouring. Unfortunately CCB is on the other side of the Bay, but Big Storm, 3 Daughters, Green Bench and a bunch of others are. SIL and I are heading out, probably for the 1pm-4pm session.
Awesome! Tons of great beer on that side of the bay. Green Bench is my fave, plus you have Cycle, Avid, and St Pete to name a few. Enjoy!

One of everyone’s favorite (or it should be!) is Pilsner Urquell - they got the whole Pilsner thing going in 1842.

Luckily I have a son in law that likes beer, I’ve even brewed with him before. While in Plzen, he toured the Pilsner Urquell facilty and sent me these pics yesterday. Thought you all might enjoy them as much as I did.

FC55B2BA-2603-45BF-8A28-8F363A23B815.jpeg00F6A6D5-5F75-456C-BD31-E659776FE45B.jpegF1F8364C-20AD-433C-BAA9-BCBD4E12A67C.jpeg1B27BF9E-79CC-4AE5-9C91-48506C5640C5.jpeg5BBC59B3-69ED-4811-B1CC-E95A6DD3C467.jpeg

Back