Favorite Beer you buy to save the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been stocking up on 750ml cork and cage bottles lately. I have some big beers planned for the next few months that I want to cellar for extended periods of time and I can't find the darn things online anywhere to buy them.

When I bottle I like to use Lions Stout bottles they are the thick glass ones like they used to make and return for them to refill.

I personally like Rogue and Sweetwater bottles. The Sweetwater labels come off easily, and the Rogues are a little thicker than most. Don't know how far reaching the Sweetwaters are though, I'm only about an hour from Atlanta.

im from atlanta too... i have re-used sweetwater before too and they are easy to seal and the labes come off easy. but i think that sweetwater doesnt leave the southeast if that far

I love the bottles from Ayinger and Weihenstephaner... thick, brown, 1/2 Liter, and no problems with my butterfly capper.

We have a great micro here in MI - Bells Brewing Co. I buy their beer almost exclusively when I'm not buying McEwan's Scotch Ale or Mackeson's XXX.

Any of the St Sebastiaan bottles, not only is the beer great, but the earthenware swing-top bottles are really really cool. I'm bottling my mead in them, I just wish I could find a place that sells bottles from the company MKM Keramics (the company that makes them)

stsebastiaandark.jpg

Lately I've been buying Sierra Nevada Pale Ale by the case for $20 at Costco. I get a nice reusable box that holds 24 bottles and all I do is rinse out the bottle when I drink one. When the case is finished and I need the bottles, I will soak them in hot PBW for about an hour and the labels come right off. A hot rinse with water and a little scrubby pad will take care of any remaining glue.

I then run them through the sanitizing cycle in my Bosch Dishwasher. Works like a champ.

I like the shorter SNPA bottles because they fit in the door of the freezer so I can get them cold for bottling from the keg.

I especially like the belgian-style 750mL's that take the standard cap size (I have a wing capper and can't switch out the bell for the 33mm caps) That, and any swing-toppers.

Ed, what are you doing buying commercial brew by the case, anyway?

I don't drink them....but I get LOADS of Coors Light Bottles. They are free, they have NO marking on them, and I don't care if friends don't give them back. I had to spend $50 on a bench capper, but I have 40 cases of bottles in the basement that didn't cost a dime.

Now I need to figure out who has wine bottles......:mug:

bars. check the local bars and ask them if you can pick up their bottles. or restaurants.

Ed, what are you doing buying commercial brew by the case, anyway?

I needed bottles for the Zealots Inquisition, the Alamo Cerveza Fest, and some beer swaps. At 5 bucks a sixer, it's very drinkable and I get the box too.

+1 SNPA bottles and boxes are great.
Also:
Guinness Extra Stout
Dos Equis
some French ale with a pretty bottle (24 oz swing top)

since i have a ton well ok 4 cases of fat tire are those bottles good? i havent tried to mess with them to do one with the wing capper but i have seen one post good one post bad. dont want to throw them out if i dont have too.

I have been using reusing New Belgium bottles without any problems at all. They do seem like they might be a little bit thinner than most though.

I have been using reusing New Belgium bottles without any problems at all. They do seem like they might be a little bit thinner than most though.

thx. have a batch of fat tire clone i want to bottle a 12pack of so it will be perfect match.

I usually go for something I haven't had before that obviously doesn't look like a screw top. I've had good experiences with Sam Adams, New Belgium, Red Hook, Deschutes- basically most mid-sized dark glass bottles. The crimper doesn't like longnecks.

I use Sam Addams if im being a little cheap, Dog fish head if I want no imprints ( and great beer) and if I can stand green bottles I use bravaria beer... not amazing beer but cheap and good green bottles.

Lion Stout bottles if you can find them, they are made of THICK glass, the thickest i've ever felt, and the beer is pretty decent inside as well. Feels like you could hang it on the end of a crane and go demolish a building or something.

I have been collecting Clausthauler Ambers.

I also have two cases for Younger's Tartan Specials for Edworts Apfelwein.

BTW - I'm drinking an October '07 Apfelwein hit w/ a little green apple extract. - DAMNED TASTY - like apple jolly ranchers!!!

Back