Favorite Amber Ale Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talgrath

Reaction score
So, I've recently been on a bit of an amber ale kick, having rediscovered the style and why I used to like it. The problem is that my current amber ale recipe calls for Nelson Sauvin hops, and suddenly the local brewers have discovered that hop's unique properties, leading to a frequently empty shelf at my local homebrew shop. So, what is your favorite hop to use for a somewhat hoppy amber ale? I intend to try out something new if Nelson Sauvin is out.

So, I've recently been on a bit of an amber ale kick, having rediscovered the style and why I used to like it. The problem is that my current amber ale recipe calls for Nelson Sauvin hops, and suddenly the local brewers have discovered that hop's unique properties, leading to a frequently empty shelf at my local homebrew shop. So, what is your favorite hop to use for a somewhat hoppy amber ale? I intend to try out something new if Nelson Sauvin is out.

stone levitation *COUGH*COUGH*

Why not order a pound of Nelson Sauvin online?

After use, squeeze all the air out, tape it shut and store in your freezer. Or vacuum seal smaller amounts. It will be good for 2 years at least. The colder the better. I store mine at -4-0°F.

Why not order a pound of Nelson Sauvin online?

After use, squeeze all the air out, tape it shut and store in your freezer. Or vacuum seal smaller amounts. It will be good for 2 years at least. The colder the better. I store mine at -4-0°F.

Limited fridge/freezer space, unfortunately.

Modern Times Blazing World is about the direction that I like for a hoppy amber. Nelson/Mosaic/Simcoe. I add Columbus as well

Limited fridge/freezer space, unfortunately.

You're saying there's no way to cram a 6x6x2" bag of your favorite hops in your freezer? :rolleyes:

Fridge is NOT good enough, hops will suffer. Aside from the price, what irks me the most about buying them at the LHBS, they're not frozen. Some may have been there a year, who'd know.

I have used galena in couple of ambers with great success. Latest one had an interesting blackcurrant twang when i used whole cones of the latest harvest.

I have just stepped away from my amber which is merrily mashing at 67C/152.5F.

Hop combo of the day is Simcoe/Columbus/Mosaic. Hoping for some tasty goodness.

Very mild but nice presence -
Bitter with Centennial
Late addition with Cascade and Ahtanum

Ambers deserve American hops, I think.

I actually really like that you think this!!

I'm a bit of a nerd, so I started creating a few Marvel inspired beer recipes, and my "Cap's Old Glory Amber Ale" is brewed with all American ingredients, and I chose an Amber because it's such an inherently American style.

Haha, if it is well received at the brew store that I work at, then I'll likely post the recipe eventually. It's going to be kegged this weekend :)

Either way, I didn't mean to jump off-topic, I was just worried that other people would think I was off-base by selecting an Amber for my Captain America recipe, so I was excited to see that someone else at least shares my sentiments. :tank:

Just to remain somewhat on-topic, after I get off work at my primary job, I'll edit to include the hops that I used. I just can't remember off the top of my head and my recipe is at home.

Edit: Pre-carb, it has a pretty nice flavor! I used Simcoe and US Fuggle!

Back