Faux basement aka burying a big box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
I work in the receiving part of our lab and today we got in a pretty good size crate. It's at least 4' tall. My other boss (at the LHBS) told me about a guy who buried a broken deep freezer in his yard to ferment in. Now I like a little more control over my fermentation temps but I started thinking about burying this crate. I wonder what the temp would be about 4' down, i would think it would be a consistent temp at least. It's not a tight seal but I figured I could get a tarp or some painter's cloth and wrap the crate in that. I can't figure out how I would seal the lid.

Thought it'd be a neat way to age some beers.

What do you think, sirs?

My first thought was about the water in the soil around Gainesville. When I lived in Jacksonville, I put in a fence in my yard and about a foot down the ground was real watery mud. Made for a really long day in June.

If you dig in the winter time water may not be an issue, but I would think it could be in the summer. It is an interesting idea, though. It is about the only way to "cellar" beer in Florida.

My first thought was about the water in the soil around Gainesville. When I lived in Jacksonville, I put in a fence in my yard and about a foot down the ground was real watery mud. Made for a really long day in June.

If you dig in the winter time water may not be an issue, but I would think it could be in the summer. It is an interesting idea, though. It is about the only way to "cellar" beer in Florida.

this was also a big concern.

I'd be willing to bet the crate will mostly rot away within a year (if the termites don't get it first) . You'd be way ahead to set it on some concrete blocks, paint it orange and blue, stick a dirt cheap window AC high in a sidewall and line it with styrofoam. Seriously - it doesn't pay to bury untreated wood in the South.

Spend your time and energy lookig for a free / fridge or freezer on C'list. Digging is hard work even for 3 gorillas. Unless you have a well sealed insuleated lid, it might not stay that cool for long in the FLA sun.

I don't know the temps in FL but here the average temp 4-5 feet down is 55°. If you went 4 feet down how would you get in and out of it and if you left hole open so you could use a ladder wouldn't the FL sun warm the crap out of it? Wood wont last long in the ground either.Getting a refrigerator or chest freezer will be much better

If you are going to dig a big hole like that, would you be able to just build a cinder-block chamber instead of dropping in the crate?

My grandfather used to make his own wine and grow all of his own vegetables, and he built a small cinder block building and just covered it with a mound of dirt. He kept his fermenters and root veggies in there. It also doubled as a bunker for when we had tornados and I always remember it being nice and cool in there.

Ha, you live in Florida! You will have a 4' tall crate, 3' of it bobbing on top of a foot of water.

Other than that it sounds cool.:D

I'm thinking critters (ie termites) would enjoy it too. If it were plastic or another material it would be interesting.
The water/moisture issue would worry me too. I'm not too far north of you, and have run into the same issue mentioned earlier.

All that aside, it would be a neat experiment. I know the Florida Caverns temps maintain 65 degrees all year, if you could replicate that, it would be perfect for fermenting ales.

I'm thinking critters (ie termites) would enjoy it too. If it were plastic or another material it would be interesting.
The water/moisture issue would worry me too. I'm not too far north of you, and have run into the same issue mentioned earlier.

All that aside, it would be a neat experiment. I know the Florida Caverns temps maintain 65 degrees all year, if you could replicate that, it would be perfect for fermenting ales.

Maybe next time I cave dive at Ginnie Springs I could take some beer with me and hide it in an air pocket deep in the cave.

Bet that's never been done!

Crates can sometimes have great wood. We got in a return from overseas that was made of Bubinga. Not a really high value tropical hardwood - but I still made some money on it.

I am not sure where I read this, but i think it was on here. There was a map of the US with data about temperature fluctuations per foot underground. I am pretty sure even in Michigan there were 20+ degree swings up to 10+ feet below ground. To get a steady temp you'll have to go pretty deep...

Maybe someone has the data I am thinking of?

I am not sure where I read this, but i think it was on here. There was a map of the US with data about temperature fluctuations per foot underground. I am pretty sure even in Michigan there were 20+ degree swings up to 10+ feet below ground. To get a steady temp you'll have to go pretty deep...

Maybe someone has the data I am thinking of?

http://www.geo4va.vt.edu/A1/A1.htm

Back