Faucets other than Perlicks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82shovel

Reaction score
Could use some feedback on faucets other than perlicks.
I have an issue with one of my perlick 525ss faucets and the only thing their customer service could suggest is buying a new 630ss. No "take a look at this"or"replace this". Maybe someone is having a bad day, but i was not impressed by their customer service.
I currently have 3 perlick 525ss faucets on my kegerator that are just over 2 years old. They all get about the same amount of use. 1 of the 3 just started leaking again from the bonnet for the 3rd time. I have replaced,lubed the oring,and not over tightened, twice. First failure was at about 1 year, then 6 months later. Then here again about another 6 months later.

Could use some feedback on faucets other than perlicks.
I have an issue with one of my perlick 525ss faucets and the only thing their customer service could suggest is buying a new 630ss. No "take a look at this"or"replace this". Maybe someone is having a bad day, but i was not impressed by their customer service.
I currently have 3 perlick 525ss faucets on my kegerator that are just over 2 years old. They all get about the same amount of use. 1 of the 3 just started leaking again from the bonnet for the 3rd time. I have replaced,lubed the oring,and not over tightened, twice. First failure was at about 1 year, then 6 months later. Then here again about another 6 months later.

I had that problem with one of mine. Disassembled, lubed orings, carefully re-assembled, problem gone.

Sorry, no other info for you. My four 525ss have been pretty good for me.

I have the same issue on 2 of 4 taps and constantly have to disassemble, lube, re assemble. A bit annoying for a faucet I thought would last forever (and it should with the price!)

Otoh, I built my current keezer using the T-tower and faucets from its predecessor - which I built in 2009, with a six-pack of first-gen 525SS faucets on SS shanks.

Other than tuning one of the six up out-of-the-box to solve a spout dribble, I haven't even tweaked any of them in over 6 years now...

Cheers!

Otoh, I built my current keezer using the T-tower and faucets from its predecessor - which I built in 2009, with a six-pack of first-gen 525SS faucets on SS shanks.

Other than tuning one of the six up out-of-the-box to solve a spout dribble, I haven't even tweaked any of them in over 6 years now...

Cheers!
You're very lucky then or they changed something 3-4 years ago.

You're very lucky then or they changed something 3-4 years ago.

Indeed, they changed a few things since Gen 1.

- the faucet lever grew a rectangular cross-section where it passes through the bearing cup so it won't spin
- the bearing cup over the lever pivot ball changed from plastic to SS
- the size of the o-ring at the spout was changed at least twice
- the "P" changed
- there may have been a change to the casting but I'm inclined to doubt it

There are a lot of folks running Perls without issue.
I'm just one of them...lucky or not...

Cheers!

I wondering if i might have a metal burr from machining or something were the o-ring sits.Cant fit my fat fingers in there. Need to remove and inspect

Do you have large heavy tap handles attached? One of my 525SS's leaked when I put a large handle on it. Took it off and everything sorted itself out. Just a thought.
Also, how tightly do you make the bonnet? I have noticed with that one that it was possible to over and undertighten it.

As for alternatives, there are alternative forward sealing faucets, though if I recall correctly, they have had their problems as well.

In the defence of Perl, the 525's are discontinued. Have been for a while now. You cant expect them to fully support discontinued products. Though they might have reccomended cleaning/lubing/replacing the o ring or something like that.

Do you have large heavy tap handles attached? One of my 525SS's leaked when I put a large handle on it. Took it off and everything sorted itself out. Just a thought.
Also, how tightly do you make the bonnet? I have noticed with that one that it was possible to over and undertighten it.

As for alternatives, there are alternative forward sealing faucets, though if I recall correctly, they have had their problems as well.

In the defence of Perl, the 525's are discontinued. Have been for a while now. You cant expect them to fully support discontinued products. Though they might have reccomended cleaning/lubing/replacing the o ring or something like that.

FWIW after partcipating in this thread I emailed perlick and they sent me 4 brand new 630ss with a shipping label to send me old 525ss back!

Tap handles are the small black generic style handles
I just snug up the bonnets with my fingers. Not to tight. With 3 taps this is the only one to give me trouble
All i wanted from Perl was some info that would help me save some time and beer (beer gets warm pretty quick when its laying on the floor).
Thought they might have some history on a machining flaw or bad batch of ORings. Lack of support that i got from them did leave a sour taste, which is why i started looking around for another brand

Thats alot better service than " All i can suggest is purchase the 630's".

I emailed both the "home" and the "commercial" the home response was "buy this o-ring that is $.15 but we have a $25 minimum lol"

Commercial asked for a receipt and my address where to send new faucets!

Did you have to argue with them to replace them? How long had you owned them? I have two that I'd like to replace and think I still have the receipt somewhere but they are over 2 years old.

I have had them for about 3 years and I just sent them an email saying 2/4 were leaking and if they had a suggestion on how to remedy this and he replied asking for a receipt (I actually didn't even have an itemized receipt) and then quickly shipped me 4 new faucets. Maybe I just caught one of the customer service reps on a good day?

Back