Fat Woody's Big Bad IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pernox

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Five gallons of 1.05ish APA
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
-
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8* SRM Gold to Copper
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10@65*F, 27@~70*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9@ approx. 70*F
Additional Fermentation
-
Tasting Notes
See below.
Note: Measured efficiency for this was 90%+. Corn sugar was added directly to fermenter after reaching pitching temp. Mashed single infusion 148* for 100 [email protected]/lb.

Grain bill:

Pale Ale Malt 15lbs
Crystal 40L 1lb
Corn Sugar 1lb

Hop Schedule:

Millenium (15.9%) 1.5oz@60m
Chinook (11.4%) .75oz@20m
Centennial (9.2%) .5oz@20
Simcoe (12.4%) .5oz@20
Amarillo (8.2%) .5oz@20
Chinook (11.4%) .5oz@10m
Centennial (9.2%) .5oz@10
Simcoe (12.4%) .5oz@10
Amarillo (8.2%) .5oz@10

Dry hop, nine days:

Chinook (11.4%) .5oz
Centennial (9.2%) .5oz
Simcoe (12.4%) .5oz
Amarillo (8.2%) .5oz

This thing will strip the enamel off your teeth. The aroma is very forward, with the piney, resinous, skunky, floral, American qualities that you would expect from the list above. The taste matches, save the floral qualities; I didn't get any out of it. There's a nice shot of bitterness in there behind the flavor, and at 10%abv, there's a warming alcohol effect as well. There's enough malt backbone with the pound of C40 so you won't be left hanging, but this is really a hop show. I'll be brewing it again once I get my grubby paws on some more Chinook - would love some feedback if anyone scrounging for a recipe decides to brew this one.

Looks good!! I did an IPA recently that was a 2:1 ratio of Cascade/Amarillo(2):Chinook(1), and dry hopped with the same. WONDERFUL flavor!! I imagine the centennial/simcoe would be a great addition. I'd also bump up my IBUs next time, as I hit 70, but for some reason it tastes like I hit closer to 50 with my leaf hops. I just got a # of each Millenium and Nugget, so I got plenty of bittering hops now!! Also I used caramunich 60, c-20 and some vienna, and got a great malty backbone!

I just brewed this bad boy yesterday.
I had to switch out the Millenium for Nugget and Chinook for Cascade.
Also, I used Wyeast 1084.
It smells great!! I can't wait to taste it.

Thanks for posting it Pernox.

I just brewed this bad boy yesterday.
I had to switch out the Millenium for Nugget and Chinook for Cascade.
Also, I used Wyeast 1084.
It smells great!! I can't wait to taste it.

Thanks for posting it Pernox.

Right on!

Let us know how it tastes with the subs - the Nugget/Millenium swap shouldn't affect it much; maybe a little smoother with the Nugget. The Cascades will go well with Amarillo, and be pretty different than the Chinook. Keep me posted! I'm due to brew this one again soon, but haven't got any Chinooks. Maybe I'll try it your way. :mug:

Looks good!! I did an IPA recently that was a 2:1 ratio of Cascade/Amarillo(2):Chinook(1), and dry hopped with the same. WONDERFUL flavor!! I imagine the centennial/simcoe would be a great addition. I'd also bump up my IBUs next time, as I hit 70, but for some reason it tastes like I hit closer to 50 with my leaf hops. I just got a # of each Millenium and Nugget, so I got plenty of bittering hops now!! Also I used caramunich 60, c-20 and some vienna, and got a great malty backbone!

Very good! A nice backbone is important in an IPA IMHO. After tasting this, I think I'll be using C40 in more brews. I've used Crystal 60 in the half pound range for a while, but I really like what a full pound of the 40 did for it.

Brewing this again tomorrow... By the time it's ready, the grill and smoker should be in full swing, and I can't WAIT to rinse down some brisket or a nice mess of brats with this brew. :mug:

Wow this is good stuff.
I fly sparged two 5 gallon batches and am very happy with the final result. It's very hoppy with different flavors from start to finish.
I kegged 5 gallons and have it on a hop randall with simco, amarillo and cascade.

The bottled stuff (the the other 5 gallnons) is great and was my second batch. I did a better job with it than the first with the times, temps and such.

This was my first time fly sparging. I am very happy with the brew. Give it a try.

:mug:

Wow this is good stuff.
I fly sparged two 5 gallon batches and am very happy with the final result. It's very hoppy with different flavors from start to finish.
I kegged 5 gallons and have it on a hop randall with simco, amarillo and cascade.

The bottled stuff (the the other 5 gallnons) is great and was my second batch. I did a better job with it than the first with the times, temps and such.

This was my first time fly sparging. I am very happy with the brew. Give it a try.

:mug:

:mug: Glad it came out good for you!

I hope I can keep myself in enough of the right hops to keep this on tap all summer. Drinks a little too easy sometimes, but that's what late summer nights are for, right? :tank:

Latest posts

Back