Fat Tire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpipes68

Reaction score
I just bought a Fat Tire extract kit. I love Fat Tire but I would like to make hoppier. Not sure how to go about this, any suggestions?

More hops late in the boil, in whirlpool, or dry hop is the normal method. But it might be good to try the kit as-is before adding more hops. And my opinion: Dry hopping can introduce air, which you don't want. I would lean toward late boil hops or whirlpool hops if increasing. You can experiment with dry hopping later.

Hoppier as in more bitter, more hops flavor, or more aromatic?

Adding hops in the beginning of the boil adds high bitterness.

Late boil adds high flavor, moderate aroma, and moderate bitterness.

Post-boil (steep/whirlpool) adds high flavor, high aroma, and variable bitterness (depending on temperature - hotter = less aromatic and more bitter).

Dry hop adds moderate flavor, very high aroma, and almost imperceptible bitterness.

Don't be scared of dry hopping because of one dude's opinion. He's not wrong that it can introduce some oxygen, but dry hopping is a net positive 95% of the time.

If it were me, I'd get an extra 2 oz of whatever main finishing hop Fat Tire uses, I'm guessing Willamette or Cascade but it's been years since I've had a Fat Tire so I don't really know. If it doesn't use one of those, they'd be good anyway. Add one ounce somewhere between 5 minutes left in the boil and whirlpool, depending on how you brew, and one ounce as a dry hop for the last 3-7 days before packaging.

Hoppier as in more bitter, more hops flavor, or more aromatic?

Adding hops in the beginning of the boil adds high bitterness.

Late boil adds high flavor, moderate aroma, and moderate bitterness.

Post-boil (steep/whirlpool) adds high flavor, high aroma, and variable bitterness (depending on temperature - hotter = less aromatic and more bitter).

Dry hop adds moderate flavor, very high aroma, and almost imperceptible bitterness.

Don't be scared of dry hopping because of one dude's opinion. He's not wrong that it can introduce some oxygen, but dry hopping is a net positive 95% of the time.

If it were me, I'd get an extra 2 oz of whatever main finishing hop Fat Tire uses, I'm guessing Willamette or Cascade but it's been years since I've had a Fat Tire so I don't really know. If it doesn't use one of those, they'd be good anyway. Add one ounce somewhere between 5 minutes left in the boil and whirlpool, depending on how you brew, and one ounce as a dry hop for the last 3-7 days before packaging.
Great. Thanks for all the advice. I will share how it turns out. I cant do another brew day until mid June but I'm chomping at the bit to try this.

Latest posts

Back