Fastferment conicle fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjm1027

Reaction score
Hi,
I am making a lager beer and using my Fastferment conicle fermentor for the first Time. I pitched the yeast (Saflager W-34/70) on top of the 5 gallons of wort between 52 and 55 degrees. 24 hours later I have no fermentation activity. Is this unusual?

Thanks

I haven't done a lager yet myself, but from what I have read, they take longer due to the lower temps to start fermenting. Also, due to lower temps, a yeast starter is needed to have the required amount of pitching yeast for a lager. I am no pro but this is what I have seen and read. I'd give it another 24 hours or so and see what happens. I'd also make sure your seal is tight or it could be releasing the gas out of the seal instead of the blowoff. Just a few suggestions.

There is usually a longer lag time for lagers. May take up to 48 hours to see activity and you don't always see the thick krausen layer you do with ales. Did you re-hydrate the yeast or just pitch the dry pack? With a lager you will either want to pitch at least 2 dry packets directly or use a good starter with re-hydrated yeast.

There is usually a longer lag time for lagers. May take up to 48 hours to see activity and you don't always see the thick krausen layer you do with ales. Did you re-hydrate the yeast or just pitch the dry pack? With a lager you will either want to pitch at least 2 dry packets directly or use a good starter with re-hydrated yeast.

Well tonight I see the airlock inside piece is up and no bubbles but there is activity in the ball at the bottom of the fermenter. I also tried to seal around the cap with paraffin stretch wrap. The good news is the float is up and no air is getting in. I called FastFerment tonight and they said the top cover may be warped and not to worry the beer will come out ok. I should sand the top of the tank with 100 grit paper glued to a piece of wood to make it level. Seems this should be part of their quality assurance team before it goes to a customer.
I also shaped out airlocks, the one that came with the FastFerment cap was very lose and easy to come off.
I do see activity so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks

Back